I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5' Ultralight rod
Posted by: Lee Swaim (12.35.44.---)
Date: June 22, 2021 12:38PM

I have a friend that wants me to build him a 5' UL rod for trout. Normally this wouldn't be any problem, I'd put some KL-H/equivalent guides on there (16,8,5.5m, 5s) and wrap them all up. They however would like the REC recoil guides on there. The 1st one being a double foot guide and the rest being single foots. I'm assuming he'll be using a 1000 size reel. I haven't ever built a conventional style rod. What would you guys recommend for guide sizes? I think I'll use a REC RSGB for the double foot and the RSPGIB for the single foots.

Thank you for the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5' Ultralight rod
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: June 22, 2021 04:25PM

I have built a couple 4 1/2 and 5 foot trout rods. Don't need a very tall reduction train with light mono or even better braid.

I used a two guide reduction then the runners. I used pac Bay minima in 8m 4l then f series 4w. Works great.

Might look up the heights of the 8m and 4l and go with similar height rec guide

Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: June 22, 2021 08:07PM

Thanks Michael, I'll look them up!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 24, 2021 12:38AM

Lee,
Attempting to cast a light 1/32oz - 1/16oz typical trout lure with a casting reel is expecting too much from all but the most proficient bait-casting anglers. Yes, it can be done, but why not employ a spinning reel to make the fishing experience more easy and enjoyable? While a 5ft rod would be beneficial when fishing small streams with overgrown banks, a 6ft - 7-ft rod will certainly cast further in more open situations.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 24, 2021 01:34AM

I'm seeing a short ultralight rod with a low frame double foot stripping guide, am I correct? He said a conventional rod, but he might of meant a spinning gear rod, fly anglers call all non-fly rods conventional sometimes. A casting rod with those little low guides and a light line spinning reel will surprise you with it's performance and 5 ft. rods aren't known to be boomers.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2021 05:00AM

I also assume he is building spinning as the RSPGIB guides he mentioned are a average height spinning guide. By conventional I think he is referring to cone of flight instead of concept setup. Would not be my first choice but it should work just fine. Would probable be a easier transition and look better to use RSPGB guide after the RSGB stripper.

I was really surprised how much I was able to downsize the guides on my short UL builds. If you go with six pound braid there is no coil memory at all to worry about. Really all the reduction guides are doing is softening the angle from the reel to the runners that are distributing the load on the rod.

In my case using the 8m as a stripper the angle of the line is rather steep from the reel to the stripper. I have not measured it but I would say by looking at I am getting very close to 45 degrees.I have had no issues. But I wonder if at some point too much angle could cause problems with the line coming off the reel.

Posted by: Lee Swaim (12.35.44.---)
Date: June 24, 2021 09:57AM

Mark,

As Spencer and Michael stated, I meant conventional in terms of Cone of flight guide system. A poor choice of words on my part. The rod will be a spinning rod, not a casting rod. The 5' rod was a specific request by my friend.

Thank you!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 24, 2021 09:13PM

I see no reason you couldn't use the 4's, I have on heavier rods with no problems.

Posted by: RICHARD LUCAS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2021 06:17PM

Hello to all you Ultralight Rod folks...

What can you tell me about my 66" Ultralight Rod & Reel, is there anything that I should know about my outfit??

I was born and raised on fresh water fishing from the time I was around 5-6 years old, put me on a lake and I will find you fish. My Dad let me use some of the fishing rods that he had at the time and they worked well for a 6 year old kid.

When I got older at around 14 in 1956, I purchased my first "ultra lite" fishing rod and reel with the money I saved from the various jobs I had during those early days, you figure out how old I am. :-)

I still have this Rod & Reel to this day, because I never allowed anyone in my Family to borrow them, and I still have the plastic case that came with it.... I love my Rod & Reel

First Rod: Browning Silaflex, Model #232955 made in USA Cork Handle (6) Ferrule 66" long
First Reel: Quick "Microlite" made in West Germany

PS: Check out my Forum Post above: Variable Speed Rod Wrapper Control Pedal

Thank you for your time to read my input. Regards, Richard Lucas
Lucadent@verizon.net
www.LucasDentalCompany.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster