I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G Loomis take on guide placement
Posted by: Eric Loos (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2021 10:22AM

Hello All,

I stumbled across the video linked below where Gary seems to contradict popular opinion on guide placement:

[www.youtube.com]

He seems to state that guides should be placed on top of the bend for casting setups and below for spinning. Am I interpreting this wrong? If no, what are everyone's thoughts on this? I suppose i get the casting distance argument, but wouldn't this put the rod under increased stress during hooksets and fish fighting/flipping?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G Loomis take on guide placement
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2021 11:12AM

This topic came up a few weeks ago. If you'll go back into the archives you can read several pages of comments regarding this issue. Somebody may have a link to that topic - it was ongoing just about 3 weeks or ago.

Date: June 22, 2021 11:14AM

I think this was it - 8 full pages for your reading enjoyment: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: June 22, 2021 01:18PM

Eric if you will unhide your email address so members can discuss it with you off the forum because on the forum it becomes how shall I say- controversial...

But between you and I, I think Gary got it right in that video. I adhere to his method strictly while others adhere to other ideas and theories. We can discuss it in private off the forum, but like Tom said... click on his link and enjoy the reading...

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 22, 2021 06:40PM

Eric,
A casting reel sits on top of a rod blank.

A spinning reel sits under a rod blank.

If you want a straight line for your line to run from the casting reel to the tip top of the rod, the line will be on the top side of the blank.

If you want a straight line from your line to run from the spinning reel to the tip top of the rod, the line will be on the underside of the blank.

That is the way that fishing rods have been ever since reels have been put on rod blanks. If you wish, you can wrap the line around the rod between the reel and the tip and that is your choice.

But, if you wish to have essentially 0 angular changes in the line path, keep the line on the same side of the rod blank as the reel is mounted.

Take care

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 24, 2021 12:16AM

Who can argue with a legend like Gary Loomis? That being said, just as he did, thinking outside-the box is what instigates ingenuity and progression. Mr. Loomis is a fine example for all of us to attempt to follow!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 24, 2021 10:22AM

I like to build along the straightest axis, OK, keep your guns in your holster, because I have found most of the time the spine falls along the straightest axis or very close to it.

When I build along the spine I place the guides on the side as shown in the video.

Have Fun

John

Date: June 24, 2021 11:27AM

The effective spine is the weakest axis. The straightest axis is nearly always the stiffest/strongest axis. The spine and the straight axis are almost never 180 degrees apart, but rather anywhere from about 170 to 90 degrees apart.

Actual tests and data show that building on the straightest axis results in the strongest orientation in terms of maximum deadlift strength. There are no tests nor data regarding "spine" in terms of any benefits it offers, only theories and ideas.

Do what you prefer - the rod will be fine.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 25, 2021 08:47AM

It is possible to measure the performance of a rod in feet and inches and actually demonstrate the superiority (or lack thereof) of different rod building techniques. Reports or comparisons of actual rod performance in feet and inches are not published. This would suggest such differences are trivial, at best.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 25, 2021 11:38AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is possible to measure the performance of a rod
> in feet and inches and actually demonstrate the
> superiority (or lack thereof) of different rod
> building techniques. Reports or comparisons of
> actual rod performance in feet and inches are not
> published. This would suggest such differences are
> trivial, at best.

No, there is not and you know this Phil .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 26, 2021 10:22AM

Instead of speculating, why not read the measured and documented test done. It's the Blank Strength article in the library above.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 27, 2021 09:11PM

I think you're referring to spine orientation and how Tom tested dozens of blanks and documented their failure points . We just went through all that a few weeks ago with many members chiming in . It was ugly and seemed to never end . Many of us are still attempting to recover from that thread to this very day .

Posted by: Eric Loos (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2021 04:51PM

I’ve done some reading in that post. Tom thanks for dispelling some of e myths I’ve seen out there. I think my plan is just to use this info to customize my builds in the future. Maybe a cranking rod can be aligned to increase flex when loading the rod for casting? Perhaps a rod is too stiff on the straightest axis but is perfect for my application when on spine? While it’s great to know where the blank is at it’s absolute strongest and weakest, I think the data really seems to indicate that any difference is negligible and it should be more about feel/application

Date: June 28, 2021 08:43PM

Just keep in mind that the softest and stiffest axis are not 180 degrees opposite each other. And, few people are able to cast on a single, particular axis each time. Rarely do fishing situations allow for that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster