I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 questions
Posted by: Greg D Harbin (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 21, 2021 10:44AM

How do the CRB blanks compare to the MHX blanks, and also, what would be your go to Rainshadow blank for crankbait fishing for bass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 questions
Posted by: Michael Ward (---.sip.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 21, 2021 11:43AM

Rainshadow Judge crank bait blank - Made in the USA as well…

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Posted by: Grant Darby (63.225.166.---)
Date: June 21, 2021 11:47AM

Don't know anything about CRB but can vouch for either of the Rainshadow crankbait series. Both the REVCB and JDGCB series are crank bait specific with plenty of options in power and length.............and price.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 21, 2021 01:39PM

If the power and action meets your needs than who's blank it is has little value. That's why so many people are perfectly happy with glass, composite, and various types of graphite rods throwing the same things. I love my Seeker BS706S custom for cranks and other things and my G Loomis P844 GLX custom also gets the job done. Worry about characteristics, not who made it and out of what.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2021 02:43PM

The original 5’6” -7’ blanks in the CRB color series are blanks I recall seeing offered by at least one other vendor years ago with specs that matched across the board. I suspect they started as a line produced by one of the manufacturers on the left that was intended to be used as a house line of entry level general purpose blanks. However over the years the CRB line has expanded and includes much more which may be in-house designs and/or blanks from multiple sources.

The only CRBs I’ve built on are the little 5’6” model. It makes for a great little panfish rod. None of that original line are what I would consider technique specific blanks, but if the action and power fits the bill, they are quality standard modulus blanks.

The MHX blanks are technique specific and are great mid-modulus blanks at a great price.

Like Spencer I’m partial to the Seeker blank and a Lamiglas 6702 that was new old stock from the late 60s for cranks. That said the Rainshadow blanks are very nice as well.

What size cranks are you throwing?

Posted by: Josh Hutchison (---)
Date: June 21, 2021 08:53PM

I have built on a lot of both the CRB and MHX blanks, and I find the CRB blanks to be a great value. As noted above they may not be as technique specific as some higher priced blanks, but they are a lot of bang for the buck. I have also been happy with MHX blanks. They are more expensive than the CRB blanks but have more options and are a bit more refined. I cannot comment on the Rainshadow blanks, as I have never built on one. Good luck.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.247.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 22, 2021 07:04AM

CRB is, as stated abvove, a great value but I find the MHX and rainshadow are both excellent choices. I have built on all three, but only use CRB when the customer chooses them based upon price alone.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 22, 2021 07:51AM

While I certainly agree with Spencer that the characteristics of the blank are what counts, there is a reason I and others build on the blanks from the manufacturers that they do. Trust. Trust that the blank will be quality built. And that trust has a lot of value. At least it does to me.

There aren't many things more disappointing in rod building than opening a package and finding that the blank has quality issues. I have limited experience when it comes to buying blanks, but I'm never worried about blank quality when I've ordered a Rainshadow blank.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 22, 2021 11:02AM

Species specific rods are the result of personal recommendation, not physical characteristics. Find a source you would like to agree with and go ahead.

Posted by: Danny Smith (---)
Date: June 27, 2021 06:35PM

I have built with all three and would recommend the MHX and/or Batson; however, I have built a few rods on the color series blanks. I have found them to be great value. I have a favorite little speckled trout rod that I fish with more than anything else on a Color Series blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster