I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Blank Recommendation 12' Surf rod
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: June 19, 2021 07:13PM

I am looking for recommendations for a 12' to 12'6" surf rod (spinning) that will excel at casting 2 oz. to 3 oz. aerodynamic lures for maximum distance. Primary targets are Roosters and Jacks, etc. Caveat: no section of the blank can exceed 79" in length to fir airline travel tube length restrictions. This basically means it need to be close to a 50/50 split for two pieces. I am aware of the Century Sling Shot. What else is out there that has a 50/50 split at 12'? Yes I know I can look myself, and I have. I am not seeing much that is 50/50, and several brand sites don't specify the section length so I am just wondering if any sponsors or others may already have this info. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Blank Recommendation 12' Surf rod
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 19, 2021 07:27PM

Contact Herb L at HNL rod blanks he's listed directly above CTS on the sponsors list . CTS will build you an outstanding 12 foot surf blank in a 50/50 split and build it to your specs . I ordered a couple myself and told them what modulus MSI I wanted them to use in the butt section and the tip section and what type of taper etc... . I did pay a designers fee since they didn't have that design on file but it was worth it.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: June 19, 2021 10:44PM

Thank you Chris.
Herb

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: June 21, 2021 09:16AM

I would take a look. at the ATREX12-2PC. The split is 50/50 on this blank and they have another option in a 12'6" as well. They also have an ascetic appeal to them with the 1k carbon matte weave in it. I have been looking at these for casting heavy Subdarters and poppers in the surf for spinner sharks, jacks, and the occasional tarpon. I wish I could get some Guanacaste Rooster fish again!

[www.americantackle.us]

Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: June 27, 2021 10:14AM

Thank you Ancelmo. Are you familiar with the Atrex blanks? I see they are marketed as carp rods, which I know nothing about. The heavy and extra heavy power ratings along with the carp rod ratings are making me question if these blanks will excel at throwing 2-3oz lures?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster