I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish for wood seat
Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: June 19, 2021 09:35AM

What is the best finish for a turned burl fly seat? It is stabilized and I'm looking for a nice gloss finish. Is epoxy acceptable or permagloss.
Thanks as always

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish for wood seat
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.140.---)
Date: June 19, 2021 09:55AM

I use gorilla glue and love it!
[www.youtube.com]

Jim

Date: June 19, 2021 10:52AM

Hmmm, who would have thought. Good idea

Jim Reinhardt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use gorilla glue and love it!
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Jim

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: June 19, 2021 11:43AM

Keep in mind, the difference between being in a controlled environment or the subject to the intervention of nature. Outdoors environment should consist of UV protection, water proof, and last but certainly not least flexability. Remember all woods have a tendacy to expand and contract due to temp and environment changes.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (---.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com)
Date: June 19, 2021 12:02PM

For a good review of the gorilla glue finish, google Tim Anderson gorilla glue. He uses the finish on bamboo rods and reel seats.

Jim

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 19, 2021 12:05PM

Mark,
I simply use two coats of flex coat thread coatings with a light sanding between coats.

These were handles for ice fishing rods that I made a few years ago with the 2nd coat of flex coat on the dryer before being placed on rods.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This holds up very well in all temperatures for many years.

One already has the finish on hand and it simply works very well.

Think about the millions of boats around the world who's finish is based on epoxy glue technology.

Best wishes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2021 12:11PM by roger wilson.

Date: June 19, 2021 01:03PM

Thanks all. I'm not to worried about the wood changing since it is stabilized. I think I will use my thread epoxy.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 19, 2021 01:51PM

Mark,
I would have guessed the replies / suggestions to be either PG or Birchwood Casey’s Tru Oil. I, too, would not have thought of Gorilla Glue; I will remember that = thanks, Jim. I have used PG for wood projects, related or unrelated to rod building, with very good results. I have also used Tru Oil with good success but do not think it is quite as durable as PG or thread finish.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 19, 2021 02:51PM

You'll find info on Gorilla Glue finish under CA adhesive used as finish, in other words Super Glue type adhesives, Gorilla Glue is a company, not a glue, they make all kinds.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 19, 2021 02:58PM

If he's talking about the super glue type of Gorilla Glue it has been used and well recieved for quite a long time, CA glue under many names.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: June 19, 2021 03:53PM

Natural materials -- like wood, bone, horn and antler -- are beautiful, ... The only drawback of natural handles is a tendency to expand and contract (gradually) with ... Even stabilized wood can still expand and contract,.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s10894.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: June 19, 2021 07:03PM

+1 on Ron’s comment on stabilized wood expanding and contracting. For this reason inflexible finishes can be problematic. There also is a belief out there that stabilized wood is impervious to water - it isn’t. My finish of choice is Pro Custom Oil gunstock finish. Many rubbed-in micro depositions, a technique shared by an excellent gunstock maker.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.140.---)
Date: June 19, 2021 07:34PM

The Gorilla Glue I use is the original, which is a moisture curing polyurethane.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2021 07:50PM

If the insert is stabilized you do not need nor want any finish on it. Just buff it. The proper wheel compound will take it to a mirror shine that will last and last. And, it can be buffed in the future if need be to restore to its original mirror surface.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.broadband.sta.mhtc.net)
Date: July 01, 2021 11:05AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If he's talking about the super glue type of
> Gorilla Glue it has been used and well recieved
> for quite a long time, CA glue under many names.

I would stay away from CA finishes for outdoor projects, UV seems to break down the finish and it will spider crack and make a rough repair down the road. Don't ask me how I know lol. I've heard about Gorilla Glue for a finish, but have never tried it, may have to give it a go to see how it does. I have had great luck with General Finishes Enduro, it builds up fairly fast and after a couple of days of cure time you can polish it to a high gloss finish. I'm not a fan of epoxy from the stand point that it doesn't seem to be able to sand and polish to get a smooth finish, it's tough, but not on the top of my favorite finishes. Tru-Oil is really a poor finish for wood grips on fishing rods, never able to get it to hold up and it takes forever to build up a finish to where it fills pores in wood.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster