I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bucktail inlay?
Posted by: Scot Abel (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 16, 2021 11:20PM

Getting back into rod building. I have a couple projects going now! Being from WI, I make mostly walleye jigging and musky casting rods, with an occasional UL or fly rod for panfish and trout. I have done several feather inlays which looked really nice. I am doing a walleye rod for my father who uses buck-tail jigs, almost exclusively. Anyone ever pull off some sort of whitetail deer - buck-tail inlay that would resemble a lead-head jig?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bucktail inlay?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2021 11:47PM

Tough project. Bucktail is rather course. Might present some issues with height and finish depth. But worth some creative consideration.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2021 04:31AM

Perhaps incorporate into the handle. Seen a rod that had a hair jig inset in the handle. Don't know how it was done. Was a cork handle. Looked like a section big enough to fit the jig was cut out to the center line. That section had the jig in it. Then it appeared as though the section was filled over the jig with clear pourable resin, like used to fill voids in natural wood slab furniture. I assume some kind of mold was used to achieve the same contour as the grip. Or maybe the grip was turned and polished on a lathe after pouring. Wish I had more info to give you. But at least it's another line of thought to consider.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 17, 2021 04:03PM

Hmmmm....veeerrrry interesting. I have fished a lot of bucktails.....even shot my own deer and made jigs from the tails.
Maybe find a very small jig head......split it in half somehow on the centerline ...applysome hair...and then work out something like Michael describes. Perhaps in the space in a split grip handle?
I would love to see some pics if you get it done. Good Luck

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 17, 2021 04:21PM

Like Tom said, it's going to take a lot of epoxy to cover even a small jig. Why not do a pen & ink drawing on the blank.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: June 17, 2021 08:55PM

Build the bucktail jig on the blank. Hammer out a small piece of lead and shape it.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 18, 2021 08:46AM

Has anyone tried to carve out a cork handle to inlay inside it? On a cork handle with enough material you could carve the handle down in the shape of the jig. Then place the full jig in and fill it with epoxy. Then clean and flush the edges to the cork and seal the cork with U-40.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 19, 2021 09:06AM

Scot, could you do a weave of the bucktail

Date: June 19, 2021 02:04PM

Out of curiosity, I planed down a jig hook on my orbital yesterday. It worked well and the hook was half of its thickness upon completion. I put it in a vise and radiused the bent portion of the hook. Had it almost done and broke the hook. Next time I'll use a little torch heat to soften the metal before bending it. I know if I can get the hook to lay flat on the blank that creating a "half" bucktail and a flat shaped lead head would work.

Date: June 21, 2021 11:15AM

Mark Brassett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Out of curiosity, I planed down a jig hook on my
> orbital yesterday. It worked well and the hook
> was half of its thickness upon completion. I put
> it in a vise and radiused the bent portion of the
> hook. Had it almost done and broke the hook.
> Next time I'll use a little torch heat to soften
> the metal before bending it. I know if I can get
> the hook to lay flat on the blank that creating a
> "half" bucktail and a flat shaped lead head would
> work.

Mark.....why incorporate the hook at all? I was thinking the head and the hair would be enough. The hook is implied. :)

Date: June 21, 2021 07:22PM

I didn't think of that. I'm sure it would look nice but the hook would make it super custom.

Posted by: Scot Abel (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 23, 2021 02:37PM

Great ideas! What I am going to try is creating a mini-jig sort of "thing" about the size of a feather inlay using dyed buck tail strands. I'm going to tie them off to resemble the thread-wrapped collar, and speck of fluorescent paint to resemble the jig head. I was planning on omitting the hook. I like Mark's idea of thinning one out and wrapping it with the natural curve of the blank. With it scaled down, maybe a fly hook that resembles a jig hook. This is a couple weeks out. If it turns out, i will post a picture. Thanks for the ideas!

Date: July 20, 2021 01:53PM

Hey Scot.......any update on this? I am very curious.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster