I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Opinion on wrapping guide on ferrule
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2021 03:16AM

I always do a trim wrap on my ferrule wraps. I wrap the ferrule with the rod assembled. I wrap the butt section at the ferrule joint with tape until it is level with the tip section. Once I have everything level I wrap tape over the butt and tip section joint. I overlap the tape just a couple mm at most, onto the tip section. I build up this section about a 1/16 thick. This gives me a wall to pack my wrap against and keeps it from slipping off the end of the blank.

I lay a section of thread for my trim down on the underside of the blank. I use one piece wrapped completely under the ferrule wrap leaving the needed amount as long tag ends on each end of the wrap. I start at the bottom of the ferrule, I do just enough wraps to lock in the trim thread and a tie off loop. I then wrap the trim and pull the loop through. By keeping the main wrap small and doing the trim early in the wrap I am able to move it all fairly easily. I wrap it about 1/4 inch or so from the end, then slide it all down and pack it tight to my tape wall. I then finish the wrap and the top end trim. Now to save some cussing,well a lot of cussing, I immediately hit the wrap with CP to make certain that the trim wrap does not decide to walk off the end of the blank at some point prior to finishing.

Takes some time to set this all up. But it allows me to do a ferrule wrap with a trim band that is only one or two thread widths from the end of the ferrule. If your guide wraps are trim banded the ferrule don't look right to me if it is not trim banded as well.

As for the need don't really have much of an opinion on that. Just have always done it. Don't look right to me if the ferrule ain't wrapped. Not much extra to do it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 20, 2021 03:17PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris, I don't wrap them either.
>
> Michael, I consider it a plus when a guide wrap
> lands there as "it kills two birds with one
> stone".

Thanks Russ , I also agree about it being a big plus if a guide lands directly on the ferrule. I'm not talking about every rod blank and I'm sure you aren't either just with certain rod blanks I have decided to not ferrule wrap them . Most manufacturers have greatly reinforced those ferrule area's over the years and done very extensive repeated stress testing on them to make certain they don't fail .

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 21, 2021 03:30PM

Thanks for advice on wrapping. I did email NFC to ask Gary Loomis on his opinion on ferrule wraps. He recommends to avoid possible micro cracks in the ferrule.

Date: June 21, 2021 04:03PM

NFC is not one of the companies that says ferrule wraps are not required , Batson is the same . You got to know who you're dealing with because as said previously some companies still say wrap them and some companies have made it very clear that it's totally unnecessary . I would always listen to what the manufacturer says .

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 22, 2021 06:44PM

Note:
The reason that I don't put trim wraps on ferrule wraps is simply because the ferrule is not a guide.

The rods have a set of trim wraps for each guide that help to high light the guide and its position.

The ferrule is just part of the blank and in my opinion has no need, nor desire to be highlighted by the use of a trim wrap on the ferrule.

Also, if the ferrule is close to a guide, I will place my trim wraps on that guide in the fashion identical to the rest of the guide wraps, but simply extend the main wrap from the guide wrap continuously on the blank to the end of the ferrule.

Best wishes

Date: June 22, 2021 07:09PM

I don't think I've ever seen a ferrule wrap that also has trim wraps , that would look very odd and it would get my attention right away as being out of place UNLESS it was a part of a guide wrap .

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster