I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Opinion on wrapping guide on ferrule
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: June 16, 2021 11:17PM

Latest build places guide about on the ferrule. First I have encountered this. Have not paid much attention to how other rods have been wrapped in this situation. If I wrap as usual I will have about 1/4 inch gap between my ferrule wrap and guide wrap. Do I do that. Or wrap it all as one. I typically do a trim wrap on both ends of the ferrule and a trim wrap on the guide wrap. If I do as one wrap should I do a single trim wrap. Or do a trim wrap at end of ferrule and then a inlay where the end of the guide wrap would of been. Leaning towards separate wraps. Just wondering what thoughts are as to what looks best or what is typically done. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinion on wrapping guide on ferrule
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2021 11:46PM

It's fine. Just run the ferrule reinforcement wrap right on into the guide wrap.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 17, 2021 10:32AM

Michael,
I always wrap the two at the same time if the guide is in the correct location to do that.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: June 17, 2021 10:44AM

Aesthetically, I do not like the way it looks to have the ferrule wrap run into the guide wrap.
I always have a separation. 0.25" is great.
Herb

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 17, 2021 04:02PM

Is a ferrule wrap even necessary on today's blanks?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 17, 2021 06:24PM

Ferrule wraps are not necessary on modern blanks, but I think they look good. I am glad to see I am not the only one that has had this quandary. If you are using a trim band or inlay on the ferrule wrap and the foot comes close to that, then do the same thing with the guide wrap on that one if it is not possible to get a space between them. You could also just do one trim band near the other ferrule ends instead of on each side of the ferrule wrap, to make it look consistent like on the one with the guide. That's what I have done in the past. I would also do that section first to see what it looks like then proceed with the rest of the wraps after you have figured it out. You can always re-wrap till you get it like you want on that part.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 17, 2021 07:11PM

I don't wrap the ferrules on my CTS surf blanks which are 50/50 splits and they have seen heavy usage. The appearance is much cleaner , it keeps the middle part of the blank lighter and the blanks look much more like a one piece in appearance . You have to really look for the join to notice the split there is no big long wrap making it stand out . Some manufacturers have made it very clear that there is no need for ferrule wraps. Other manufacturers still recommend it but not necessarily because they think their blanks need it .

Many people don't wrap close enough to the ferrule end on ferrule wraps anyway , for a ferrule wrap to be the most effective it should be as close to the end as possible , like 1 MM close which would prevent any chance of a split . Ending a ferrule wrap further away than that won't necessarily prevent splits but will prevent the blank from completely failing all at once in that spot which is a good thing but a ferrule wrap to me is to prevent any splits in the first place.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 17, 2021 08:02PM

Will the length of the wrap needed please your eye? If so, go for it.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 18, 2021 03:13PM

On my last rod a guide foot was about 3/4 of an inch from the ferrule and I did one long wrap. It looks a bit goofy and asymetrical, I think, but no one is really looking but you.

Date: June 18, 2021 03:16PM

As to the issue or point of ferrule wraps being unnecessary on modern carbon rods, I have heard it stated both ways, so does anyone have conclusive facts or a study on that? Does anyone not wrap their ferrules? How long a ferrule wrap do folks generally implement?

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 18, 2021 03:46PM

Conclusive facts or a study ? It's P. Ewanicki again posing as David Taylor , dang it Phil you got to knock this stuff off .

There isn't going to be any studies or facts about whether ferrule wrapping is necessary , just like everything else in fishing it's preference based. Some will always do it because they like the way they look , some will always do it because they feel the build is not complete without it , some will always do it because they're simply used to doing it and some will always do it because it gives them peace of mind & think it's needed.

I think I'm one of the very few and possibly only person who does not wrap the ferrules anymore and I say that because I haven't heard anybody else admit they don't wrap them . When I have wrapped ferrules they're no longer than a half inch and they're right up to the ferrule end as close as humanly possible . Some like one long wrap but I don't.

Date: June 18, 2021 10:00PM

Wraps should be at least 1.5 - 2 x the diameter of the ferrule.

Date: June 19, 2021 12:22AM

I simply make all of the ferrule wraps 1/2 inch long and it works well for me.

Essentially one is just adding a comfort level to the pit of the stomach of the fisherman to hopefully avoid splitting the ferrule on a hard cast.

With today's rods - likely there is 0 need for it, but I do it because I like the look.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: June 19, 2021 12:22AM

I have always kept ferrule wraps to a minimum,1.5x the diameter is my rule of thumb.

As to this particular rod I was able to tweak the guide location slightly. In turn I can do one wrap for ferrule and guide. Overall length will now be less then the guide below it, looks right now.

Date: June 19, 2021 02:18PM

Don't know if you were joking or not, but no one was posing as Dave Taylor. That was my own question. I am a casual rod maker and given the current state of the art of carbon fiber blanks, I have tended to doubt the actual need of ferrule wraps. I also make golf clubs, and the plastic ferrules on golf clubs serve no purpose other than aesthetics. Granted they are very different in purpose and design than rod ferrules. I would think that the ferrule wall is not much thinner or any weaker than the rod tip end, which pretty much has to be abused to be broken. I would surmise if you nicked an unwrapped ferrule it may weaken, whereas the wrap would protect from a nick. But what is the likelihood of that.

I am going to make a new nymph rod soon and I may just try it without ferrule wraps. I may put a dot on it for alignment and then a think coat of epoxy to cover the dot and add some protection. I don't make that many rods and those that I have I have taken the ferrule wrap as close to the opening as possible, which is a bit of a pain, and often takes several attempts to get it right.

Date: June 19, 2021 02:33PM

I guess one could use these as well.

[www.proofflyfishing.com]

Date: June 19, 2021 05:58PM

David,
With respect to a ferrule wrap being close to the edge of the blank opening.

I actually find that it is very easy. I never put any trim around ferrule wraps. Just main guide color wraps. I tape the tag end of the main line to the rod on the power wrapper, then do a quick run up to about 1/16th of an inch from the edge, and carefully get about three wraps going. Then, I insert a pull thread under the wraps and after doing another 3 or 4 wraps, take the end of the thread that was taped down, free and nip off the end with the fly tying scissors that I use for such trimming. Then, finish the wrap, insert the free end into the pull thread, pull the thread tip and snip it off with the fly tying scissors and am done.

Now, when it comes time to applying finish - wax paper is your best friend. Just take a piece of wax paper and insert a piece of paper into the ferrule and follow up with the section into the wax paper and push it secure so that the joint will not come apart - when drying. Go ahead and apply finish as desired and if you should happen to get a touch too much finish so that it runs over the edge of the ferrule, no big deal. The wax paper will keep anything from sticking and it is easy to trim off the edge of any finish that may have gone over the edge.

I will say that I have built a bunch of multi piece rods and always wrapped the joint and have always used wax paper or plastic wrap in the ferrule to avoid sticking but thus far, I have not had the misadventure of having any finish run off the edge of the joint. But, it certainly could happen at any time.

Best wishes and happy wrapping.

p.s.
I don't know if you use magnification when you wrap. But, if you don't use magnification and intense lighting when you wrap, I would like to suggest that you give it a try. With at least 2x magnification and extremely very bright light only a few inches from the rod makes intricate detailed work like rod wrapping much much easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2021 06:00PM by roger wilson.

Date: June 19, 2021 07:39PM

I don't pay for fire insurance with the hope that I'll some day need it. Same with ferrule wraps. Added hoop strength can't hurt, may not be needed.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 19, 2021 09:26PM

Chris, I don't wrap them either.

Michael, I consider it a plus when a guide wrap lands there as "it kills two birds with one stone".

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 20, 2021 01:16AM

I don't know of any good reason not to wrap the ferrule, so I wrap the ferrule.

It only takes a few minutes and on to the next guide. Same with finish application, a minute or two and on to the next one.

Be safe

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster