I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perma gloss as thread coat
Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: June 16, 2021 02:14PM

I made a rod and coated the guides with just one coat of Perma Gloss. I really like the look of just one coat, Except for a slight sheen, it looks like you've applied nothing on the wraps yet they are locked in place. Is one coat enough? I did go back and make sure I had some more in the foot areas to prevent water intrusion. That stuff is the bomb, so old skool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2021 02:15PM by Fred Zimmermann.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perma gloss as thread coat
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 16, 2021 04:05PM

Lots of discussions in the archives on this topic , just one of many below:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 16, 2021 06:11PM

Myself and others use it, some can't be around epoxies. Light, tough, flexible, and always water clear, what's not to like. I use at least three coats, but that's just me. Others leave it for about a half an hour to thicken some than apply it. Find your way.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 16, 2021 09:21PM

Fred,
You can expect a number of pages of replies on this topic.
Can PG be used as a thread finish? = Certainly.
Is PG better than epoxy for thread wraps? It depends on precisely what one is attempting to accomplish. This is where the following pages will offer insight and opinions, possibly so much as to confuse the reader. Both contain the movement of, and encapsulate, the thread so it can perform its duty of securing the guide foot.
If weight is the paramount consideration of a build, PG for the thread wraps is an excellent choice. If the tread wraps will be subjected to abrasion or harsh environments such as bush-whacking or saltwater use, a build-up of epoxy for protection may be a better choice.
As with most aspects of rod building, everything is a compromise of the ultimate goal; pros and cons, checks and balances, better or best, even damn if you do or damn if you don’t.
The fact is that a thread wrap does not require ANYTHING to secure a guide to the blank! How long one desires the guide to remain secured to the blank will be discussed in the following replies. Mixed in with clarity, hardness, flexibility, cure-time and a host of others, it will become a very good read for all of us! I can’t wait.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2021 09:43PM

PG was actually designed and developed as a blank and guide wrap coating for bamboo rods. 3 coats on guide wraps will give you unparalled protection and longevity but keep that traditional "varnish" appearance.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2021 04:42AM

Does PG offer any level of adhesion like epoxy finishes? I like light finishes. But filling the guide foot tunnels with epoxy finish sure makes me feel better about things staying put.

Date: June 17, 2021 09:39AM

It's more tenacious than epoxy in that regard. In fact, it is possible to make a threadless guide wrap using only PermaGloss.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 17, 2021 10:59AM

Nothing about PG keeps you from filling the guide foot tunnels, or any other finish for that matter, to keep thing out would also mean it keeps things in.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.raintreegraphics.com)
Date: June 17, 2021 02:41PM

I'm not very good at the search, don't know why, I sit in front of a computer all day and do some complex stuff, but this search doesn't jive with me. Anyone else just use one coat?

Date: June 17, 2021 03:27PM

Ralph used to recommend 3 coats, and even then the look won't change much.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 17, 2021 07:31PM

I haven't used PG for thread coating but have used it to coat blanks . Can't beat it for coating blanks but it seems to me if it was considerably lighter in weight than regular epoxy and provided outstanding protection it would be used much much more than it appears to be these days for guide wraps . Maybe it's the traditional "varnish" appearance that Tom mentioned that isn't as appealing as regular epoxy to todays builders .

I have to admit that if PG left the appearance that using just CP does I would probably prefer it to any other guide wrap finish because when I just used CP the thread wraps remained clear and bright, PG seems like it would darken the colors a great deal but I never used it for that so I can't be sure.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 18, 2021 09:51PM

I have had guide pullout issues using only moisture curing urethane as a wrap coating. If you're gonna do it, use lock wraps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster