I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide placement for a NFC NEO MB 765
Posted by: Chris Campbell (---.us.bosch.com)
Date: June 16, 2021 02:08PM

Hello
I just finished up a glide bait rod that came out very nice, thanks to those that helped with sizing the components. I want to start on my next blank, the NFC Neo MB765. NFC does not have this rod in their guide placement library, they do have 2 765 rod but the numbers are quite different and the Neo has a pretty soft tip so I dont think I should use their placement for their other 765 IM or HM rods.

My question is has anyone built one of these rods and where did you place the guides? I know I could do the research and figure it out on my own but would like to get a good starting point from someone with some more experience than a rookie like me. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide placement for a NFC NEO MB 765
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 16, 2021 04:53PM

I have built on four of them. They are all different lengths though. The blank is designed to be able to be cut down and not lose properties so I don't think they will offer a guide placement chart for it. Static line guide is how I set mine up. And I highly recommend that as a skill to add to your arsenal.

I have one that is full length. If you would like I can measure it and share here. It will be a few hours though.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 16, 2021 10:31PM

Chris,
Below is a copy of my reply to the post by Eric Loos’ post 2 days ago. Nothing has changed since then and doubt it will in the foreseeable future…
Using the search function, find, understand and utilize the Two Line Static Load Test procedure for guide placement and never look back. It is all you need to know. All charts are ballpark guestiments at best and only offer generic suggestions for generic rods purchased through generic suppliers for sale to the generic public; however, we (and you as well), build custom rods which are far superior.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: June 17, 2021 07:46AM

Chris,

I got busy with family and forgot to measure for you. I will set a phone reminder today. If you end up using the measurements just use them as a starting point for static placement because guide height will have an impact on placement.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (---.231.32.247.158.ip.kansas.net)
Date: June 17, 2021 06:22PM

From tip
2-7/8
5-3/4
8-1/2
11-1/2
14-5/8
30-7/8
56 3/4 (20" from reel)

FUJI K SERIES #8KW, #6KB, #5.5KT, #4KT runners. The tip section is quite flexible so I added an extra guide to keep the line parabolic under load.

Edit: guide sizes.
Edit 2: Format

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2021 10:55AM by Aaron Petersen.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 18, 2021 09:29AM

I see no advantage in using multiple runner sizes. One can simply run everything from the reduction train to the tip in the same size and simplify the buying, stocking, and sizing the guides. On spin I usually use size 4 KB's and KT's after the 3 guide reduction train of KLH 20, KLH 10, KL5.5M. The Fuji KW software on their site has been bullet-proof for locating the reduction guides.

Date: June 18, 2021 10:09AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see no advantage in using multiple runner sizes.
> One can simply run everything from the reduction
> train to the tip in the same size and simplify the
> buying, stocking, and sizing the guides. On spin
> I usually use size 4 KB's and KT's after the 3
> guide reduction train of KLH 20, KLH 10, KL5.5M.
> The Fuji KW software on their site has been
> bullet-proof for locating the reduction guides.

This was built for a specific baitcasting reel and I usually would run a 8-6-4 or 5 runners (depending on line and application) but I was not happy with the transition in that setup. the rod loads pretty deep so spacing was still essential that far down the rod.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 18, 2021 06:18PM

Aaron, I was not commenting on spacing, only sizing. It is my opinion that after the reduction guides in spin and after the first guide in casting, there is no advantage in using multiple sizes of guides. Of course I don't have objective data, but I've not used mulitple sizes in years and my rods seem to cast very well, accurate and long. It makes keeping guides in stock so much easier, with apparently no penalty in performance.

Date: June 21, 2021 08:07AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aaron, I was not commenting on spacing, only
> sizing. It is my opinion that after the reduction
> guides in spin and after the first guide in
> casting, there is no advantage in using multiple
> sizes of guides. Of course I don't have objective
> data, but I've not used mulitple sizes in years
> and my rods seem to cast very well, accurate and
> long. It makes keeping guides in stock so much
> easier, with apparently no penalty in performance.

10-4. I have shot some slo motion videos on running a stripper straight to runners vs stripper, reduction, runners and prefer the stripper, reduction, runner setup for casting. Typically there would be only one reduction but the height of the DC reel in use is a bit taller than a normal lo profile baitcaster. I test cast in my usual setup and then tried and extra 5.5KT as a reduction and was pleased. Was it necessary? No. I built for a deep cranking application where cast distance is paramount. Can I say that it casts farther now? No. But I can say there is less line roll resistance in the transition and that gives me confidence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster