I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Modifying a jig pole cast farther
Posted by: sam fox (205.185.135.---)
Date: June 16, 2021 08:34AM

B&M had a warehouse center in Starkville Mississippi when I lived there but that was 15 yrs. ago. I used to visit it and bought several rods that I converted. You are correct about the components being cheap but the blanks were pretty good. I still have one rod that I built on their blank and it has handled every thing from stream trout to smallmouth and also one 16 lb. channel cat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2021 09:00AM

Mark - Like I said people don’t want to spend a lot more of money on a jig pole. Sound like those jig pole are as bare boned and no frill as they come. Hope you can find a source for the blanks.

Sam - I live in MS about 100 miles from B’n’M. As you know crappie fishing is a big deal down here, and B’n’M sells a lot of crappie rods. You are correct the blanks they use are pretty nice, but the components are very inexpensive. That’s how they can sell a rod so inexpensively, and the blank is what sells these rods.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2021 09:12AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 18, 2021 11:40AM

Bill asked how to modify his pole to achieve longer casts but has received no suggestions at all on this subject. How DO you increase a rod's casting performance by altering its guide train, and approximately how far, in feet, will such a modification increase casting distance? I would welcome such information myself - if it included numbers.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---)
Date: June 28, 2021 01:09AM

Bill, I have not read through other posts but here are a few quick thoughts:

1. With 1/64, I presume you are using around 2 lbs test or some other fine diameter line? If so, I am not sure if 9 feet is optimal length. It may be that a shorter rod - say 8 feet may actually cast further. I'm not sure. I do wonder if the added number of guides may reduce casting length.

2. In my experience, unless your 1st guide is very small, I don't think that using a larger guide will help. In fact, it may be that your guides are so heavy (assuming a lower cost rod with heavy guides), going micro guides with the lightest guides you can find will allow the blank to recover more quickly and thus, cast further. I have not found even size 3 Fuji Torzites to reduce casting distance. Those are tiny little guides.

Just some thoughts.

Bill Pittman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a 9 ft jig pole that I like the action
> because of the fantastic way it handles catching a
> fish but it's a jig pole and I am using it as a
> casting rod but need more cast length of very
> light jigs. The jig pole has jig pole line guides.
> The lowest line guides (butt guides and up) on a
> spinning rod are much larger than the other guides
> but on a jig pole, they don’t vary as much in
> size. I assume that a spinning rod is like this
> due to the fact that line is flying off the reel
> and the larger guides nearer the butt makes the
> whirling line have an easier entry through the
> other guides, that it doesn't choke speed as much,
> equating to longer casts?
>
> If I simply replaced the butt guide to a much
> bigger one, do you think cast length would
> improve? Or, what else could one do? Replace
> several or all? With a certain type? If I chose
> not to tackle it (no experience), I would try to
> find someone to do it.
>
> Related question… take this jig pole that I
> really like… if I can't get a good mod done, is
> there any way to measure its bend (and any other
> parameters) and figure out why it behaves so well
> bringing in a fish… and have a rod maker
> (hopefully) duplicate this action with a custom
> build?
>
> So, the two biggies are... the feel that the rod
> provides bringing in fish... and the length of
> cast of light jigs, such as 1/64 oz.
>
> Granted, these two might not be attainable
> together... I don't know! TIA!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster