I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Rod performance
Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: June 13, 2021 01:42PM

Peetz Wood Reel on a Peetz Rod with wire line roller guides. Pure old school!!! Knuckle buster at its best. Made in Victoria, B.C.

I have similar hanging in the rod racks, along with the wood reels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 13, 2021 03:02PM

Lots more hearsay and dissembling, still no data or evidence, still no credible evidence of superiority (or inferiority) of any particular rod blanks, but a lively discussion - Sorta like "Who makes the best apple pie?" I like to share my prejudices as well as the next guy, but I try not to pretend my opinions are facts - or pretend they are supported by facts.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 13, 2021 04:30PM

Once again, what rod blank are you interested in and what rod blank are you attempting to compare it to ? My guess is you don't have any issues with rod blank performance. You have mentioned certain rod blanks that you have used in the past and are very happy with them .

I think it's time to take notice that you are the ONLY person who repeatedly asks for data that doesn't exist and never has existed and the worst part about it is that you know this .

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 13, 2021 04:52PM

Everything one reads on forums is opinion. Unless data are provided, but even then the credibility of the data can be questioned. In time one becomes pretty good at evaluating the credibility of the opinions of others. And in time one becomes pretty good at figuring out that an agenda is being pushed.

Date: June 13, 2021 05:29PM

Every declaration one sees in print or hears on the media is either true or false. Thank heaven so much scientific effort goes into determining the truth. Without measuring physical performance and outcomes and revealing them every issue becomes a shouting match - or an advertising match.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 13, 2021 07:11PM

"Thank heaven so much scientific effort goes into determining the truth"

OK lets approach this in a different manner , what case scenario are you upset about and having trouble with ? There must be a certain rod that you aren't happy with that you bought from someplace that isn't performing up to your satisfaction for some reason .

Were you told that a $300.00 fly rod was going to perform on the same level as a $1,250 Loomis Asquith ?

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: June 13, 2021 07:18PM

chris c you must enjoy banging your head into a wall. If you would like a change of pace I could hit you with a 2 X 4.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2021 08:37PM

"Every declaration one sees in print or hears on the media is either true or false."

I couldn't disagree more. Many things, from food to drink to art to women to cars, and even fishing rods, are a matter of taste. Heck, some want value, some want status, and some want performance.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 14, 2021 10:44AM

I have an old 9 wt. (!) TFO - BVK fly rod which I can cast a measured 95 feet - every bit as far as I can cast a Loomis Asquith. As for accuracy, that's 100% dependent upon the caster, 0% on the rod. These are facts, not opinion. Why? They can and have been measured, observed, and duplicated. What bothers me? For one thing the perception of fly casting/fishing as a sport for people who gladly pay one THOUSAND+ dollars for a fish pole to wave around.

Date: June 14, 2021 12:53PM

How did you measure accuracy and come to the conclusion (FACT) that the accuracy is 100% dependent on the caster? I submit even your distance number is only a "FACT" for the conditions of the test (line/caster skill/altitude/etc). When you compared the distance of the TFO with the Asquith did you use the same line for both, or the optimum line for each? Who chose the line and why? Who defines optimum? How do they define optimum? Is it not possible that a different caster might do better with rod A than rod B, or vice versa? Is it not possible that rod A might cast better up wind and rod B better down wind? But the test was most likely done with no wind?

It's not as simple as measuring the weight of a gallon of water.

I think your last sentence reveals the whole issue of the string. Those who choose to pay $1000 for a fly rod most likely are very happy with their purchase, even knowing that they didn't have to pay that much for a pole to wave around. Doesn't bother me that they are happy.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 14, 2021 07:56PM

Phil, You don't provide facts either: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 15, 2021 12:30PM

IMHO the fly LINE is more critical to fly casting success than the rod. It is possible to cast a fly line 70 feet or farther with just your hand - no rod. BTW: "cast 95 feet" IS a statement of fact - one that you won't see made by advertisers or their shills.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 15, 2021 12:40PM

As triggered as some here get about marketing I am glad we don't have a ton of market power. Otherwise every fishing ad would end with, "The quality of angling services cannot be compared to the quality of angling services of other angling equipment manufacturers."

Date: June 15, 2021 02:03PM

How does one prove a negative "fact," like the "fact" that a rod has nothing to do with accuracy?

Date: June 15, 2021 03:00PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does one prove a negative "fact," like the
> "fact" that a rod has nothing to do with accuracy?

Build a cast replicating machine to compare different rods/ guide layouts/ line wt...etc and conduct a scientific study of the distance and repeatability of the lures landing spot. All in a controlled environment as well.

Edit: format

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2021 03:43PM by Aaron Petersen.

Date: June 15, 2021 07:47PM

You can prove a positive, but not a negative. You cannot prove that something does not affect anything.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 16, 2021 07:24AM

So prove a positive already - but don't assume truth because someone said or wrote it Reveal the relative accuracy of some specific rods - but use numbers and distances, not your "feelings", as evidence.

Date: June 16, 2021 07:37AM

First, a FACT is already proven or else it would be a hypothesis.

Second, In the case of this "negative" it is quite simple to isolate the rod blank and compare the delta between landing groups. If a high end blank and lesser blank of the same length, ERN, and action is built identical, then side by side in a controlled environment on a machine designed for identical casting we could compare landing groups and find a mean average of the groups delta. If the deltas are not the same the data would not support your hypothesis. If they were then the hypothesis of the blank not being a factor in casting accuracy (consistency really) would be validated.

Date: June 16, 2021 10:55AM

The Yellowstone Angler recently abandoned publishing physical measurements of the accuracy of the fly rods they used to provide - and replaced them with vague terms such as "super accurate" and "terrific accuracy*. The actual meaning of these terms is up to the buyer's imagination - the more gullible, the better. Rifle manufacturers gladly advertise the accuracy of their product - with NUMBERED distances, because some rifles are demonstrably more accurate than others. Funny that manufacturers of "accurate" rods and their advertising agencies NEVER provide objective evidence of the "accuracy" of their rods - in inches or feet - although sensible fly-rod buyers would love to have such information. What's stopping manufacturers and advertisers from providing the truth about their product in feet in inches - besides false advertising lawsuits?

Date: June 16, 2021 11:32AM

Phil,

It is likely due to not having a standard test the industry can agree on for such data.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster