I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rod performance
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 16, 2021 11:58AM

If a rod maker produced a rod that has demonstrably superior accuracy you bet your booties that maker and its advertisers would be all over that fact, and would advertise the bejeebers out of it - including the factual, Measured Distances in Feet and Inches. I can't believe that rod makers are so coy or modest that they withhold positive proof, in feet and inches, of the superior accuracy of their product? The rod industry Does believe in feet and inches - they write them on the blank to indicate the length.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: June 16, 2021 12:01PM

Aaron Petersen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phil,
>
> It is likely due to not having a standard test the
> industry can agree on for such data.

OK, I'll take the bait on this one...

Rods do not have a casting distance. Humans do. A rod can only cast as far as the person holding it has strength of muscles to cast it. Give that rod to a 10 year old kid and there is no way he can cast it as far as Hulk Hogan. Point is, rods do not have a casting distance measurement of any worth or value.

Let's see if I can get the hook out of my mouth... I was trying so hard on this one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2021 12:02PM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 16, 2021 12:30PM

As I stated before, it needs to be standard testing where equal casting force is applied to each and compare deltas. To use your analogy, Hulk Hogan casts as far as he can but with two different rods. Did they cast the same distance?

Date: June 16, 2021 12:34PM

I am not saying the rod will or will not make a difference. I am simply stating the scientific model to actually find out.

Edit: For clarity, I really don't care much. I am happy with performance of myself and my rods and have no desire to split hairs. I also have no desire to spend capitol on research. I am just brainstorming a method for actually finding out. The amount of physical factors that go into casting make it a complex subject. By removing the human element we still only reduce the factors to rod, reel (including friction levels within), line, and lure. So even with the human element removed there are a ton of factors. To assume the rod has zero effect in that equation is a poor assumption. Of course it has an effect. But is it enough to notice? How much? Only scientific standardized testing could tell. Examining the research done on other flexible graphite structured sports equipment the research would suggest it is noticeable. IE; Hockey sticks, tennis racquets, golf clubs... The way the shaft loads and unloads has a physical presence. When a rod is loaded (action) it will unload (opposite reaction)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2021 12:50PM by Aaron Petersen.

Date: June 16, 2021 12:59PM

If there is someone here who would like to put this to rest and actually run a study I would gladly donate engineering design input and process input for the project. It is interesting. The study could even be done as rod "X" vs rod "Y" in separate ERN classes. This would protect against brand battling. Once somebody bet on graphite when it was not working well. Someone was curious enough to run scientific studies and became the first to hold and document a tubular composite study.

To really settle some debates we can even build the rods on straight axis and then spine them and run it again to compare results. But if we did this, what would we talk about?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 16, 2021 04:07PM

Aaron, notice that at least most of the time I had "FACT" in quotation marks, indicating doubt as to how factual they are. Things were presented as facts, but in the case of the accuracy, it cannot be proven that rods have 0 effect on accuracy. You can run all the tests you want but you cannot prove that the NEXT rod will be inaccurate, or will not allow accuracy by the caster. You can prove that all the rods you've tested don't contribute to inaccuracy I suppose, and you can deduce from that that at least most rods don't contribute to inaccuracy, but you have not proven and you can not prove that no rod will contribute to inaccuracy.

It is notable that my question as to how the accuracy "FACT" was proven is still unanswered by the one who presented the "FACT."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2021 04:10PM by Michael Danek.

Date: June 16, 2021 04:49PM

Accuracy is the problem. Like with firearms the term accuracy is misused when judging equipment. It is consistency that the equipment should be judged by. Repeatability.

I am really just curious about the process of a performance study of consistency in tubular stress and unloading honestly. I don't mean to drag it out.

Also the one who presented "FACT" historically is proven to not present proof. There is a rule somewhere that says don't feed them. But I find it a fun exercise of the mind to provoke thought even if it is contradictory to your own or reality.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 16, 2021 06:01PM

Phil,
How in the world can a rod be measured in terms of casting accuracy.

I suppose that one could make a machine to emulate a person's cast and have it 100% repeatable to get an accuracy number.

But, my personal feel is that if a rod is straight, and the guides are aligned in a straight line, and if the tip of the rod follows a straight line - the lure will reach the exact straight point - as measured by a chalk line from the tip of the rod to the source.

Now, can a person replicate time after time after endless time - Nope!

The simple reason is that a person is not a locked in place machine will replicate 100% the previous cast or the cast that was 100 casts ago.

Hence my belief that no person is going to be able to reclipate a previous cast with a future cast with 100% accuracy.

Perhaps a better way to advertise would be to give 100 fisherfolks two different rods. Then, have them all fish both rods for equal amounts for 30 days of usage.

At the end of the 30 days of usage - return a quality check list with boxes to check for all of the common areas of a fishing rod performance based on a total of 10 for a perfect score.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2021 10:12PM

Casting distance really isn't a fair comparison - the most powerful rod will cast the specific line the furtherest. And thus the problem when the FF magazines rate the longest casting "5-weight' or whatever. The most powerful rod will cast the given line the furthest. Not all 5-weights possess the same power.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: June 17, 2021 12:31AM

Keep the thread going I have a good chance to win the pool.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 17, 2021 08:14AM

Rods have been advertised as being "accurate" and as being "soulful" - each claim backed by the exact same amount of actual evidence. Advertisers have robbed our youth of common sense.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 18, 2021 09:22AM

In search of real, reliable, objective, facts and data, I'm going to get back to reading my wine labels.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 19, 2021 08:21AM

Aaron: Thank you for so concisely stating what I have so poorly attempted to say: "Repeatability". Given he same input will a rod cast to the same spot? I contend that, given the same input ANY rod will cast to the same spot - so long as the rod handle, guides, and tip-top are firmly attached and the ferrules are tight. You can't build or buy more a more accurate rod - any more than you can build a more accurate baseball bat.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster