I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rod performance
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 12, 2021 01:18PM

Is there any credible source which compares the performance in casting distance and/or accuracy of various rod blanks-rod builds? Or must we rely upon advertising, hearsay, and feelings rather than measurable facts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod performance
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 12, 2021 01:29PM

Phil, you know the answer.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: June 12, 2021 01:36PM

NO/YES

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: June 12, 2021 02:17PM

I can't even believe someone would ask a question pertaining to this. Boredom must be terrible

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2021 03:17PM

Stop being lazy and perform these tests yourself

Date: June 12, 2021 03:28PM

Right on, Billy! It's a business opportunity. If there is a demand, and it's obvious there is no supply, then it's a business opportunity.

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: June 12, 2021 03:44PM

Billy is spot on. Test, test, test. Put your fishing buddy to work slinging lures and 8 & Bait. After 4 or 5 rods you will have it down. Or 5/8 ounce plugs if you are FW Bass fishing. Then go buy 50 of the blanks before they are discontinued.

Took me two years to figure out Salmon Mooching Rods here in WA State. No casting involved, just putting the bait in the right spot at up to 300 feet deep and making the cut plug herring behave properly. I did a lot of rod building back in the 1980's combined with a lot of fishing to get it right. Not only do we have the bait on the line but a sinker anywhere from 6 to 10 ounces. And often minus tide with heavy current!!

Now I am working on the ultimate Composite Mooching Rod. Some of the Musky one piece blanks are hanging in the shop awaiting a build.

Ah, a wonderful world we are in. Unlimited numbers of blanks to give a try!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 12, 2021 03:50PM

I think Phil was trying to make his usual point about marketing catch phrases.

Date: June 12, 2021 04:25PM

Let's talk about wine labels!

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: June 12, 2021 04:41PM

My wine doesn't have a label, It's printed on the cardboard box it comes in.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 12, 2021 05:55PM

Phil loves to ask questions he already knows the answers to .

Phil lets talk specifics, what rod blank are you curious about and what rod blank are you attempting to compare it to ?

The overwhelming majority of individuals don't require measurable facts the differences are readily apparent to them after fishing different brands and blanks over the years .

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 12, 2021 07:14PM

He's stirring the pot again!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 12, 2021 10:21PM

Phil,
There is an absolutely creditable source for fishing rod performance.

All that one has to do is to look into the creels or the livewells, or the cleaning tables at popular fishing locations and speak the individuals who caught the fish - with the particular rod of your choice.

A fishing rod has one purpose and one purpose only.

Project a bait to a fish holding location and then, have the ability to bring the fish to the net or to the hands of the person holding the rod.

100% measurable results about rod performance.

No need to talk to rod manufacturers, or rod builders. Talk to the users of the rod to get the most accurate answer with respect to a particular blank or system used to bring the fish to heel.

Have a wonderful day.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: June 12, 2021 11:36PM

And Roger has hit it exactly on the head. in all reality the fisherman has the control in his hands, not the mfg, builder or media

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 13, 2021 07:32AM

If you feed strays, they keep coming back. Stop feeding them, and they go elsewhere

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2021 08:54AM

FWIW "Joan Wulff, the First Lady of Fly-Fishing, could cast 161 feet with one hand, still the women’s world record."

Unofficial record or not it just goes to show it is the person more than the gear. I doubt anyone would argue that fly rods and lines have declined since 1960 when she made that cast.

Today you have a young lady (girl?), Maxine McCormick, doing similar feats. Again I think you have to conclude it is the person. She certainly isn't beating out leading male competitors due to stature and raw power.

Sexyloops has such ratings and they are probably much more applicable to the average caster than what a professional might choose.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 13, 2021 09:05AM

I respectfully submit that checking creels, live-wells, and boat launches will find the best fishermen, not necessarily the best rods.

Date: June 13, 2021 12:19PM

Yep. The hands of the rod holder control the placement of where the lure falls. And how many fish are put into the cooler.

Anyway, next project below. RainShadow blank, the gents at RainShadow have a good handle on where their blanks/rods are best used. Start with a good blank and build it to your specs.

This one will go to the Cape Cod Beaches for the Bro In Law. Birthday gift!

SU1418F blank. Yep, the length of EVA will be chopped up for the grips.

Date: June 13, 2021 12:37PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I respectfully submit that checking creels,
> live-wells, and boat launches will find the best
> fishermen, not necessarily the best rods.

Oh Yea! Not exactly the best most expensive rod/reel below, but the owner knows how to put fish in the boat. British Columbia Halibut.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2021 01:08PM

My granddad had a rod that looked very much like that, reel and all, used it for bottom fish, and as his prop wash rod, right over the top of the motor while salmon fishing. The different spin sometimes caught the majority of the fish.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster