I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning Reduction Guide Possitioning
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 10, 2021 12:23AM

Considering spinning rods, if line-slap on the blank is a negative and “rapid-choke” is a positive, could an appropriately positioned, offset, nonconcentric, seat and grip enhance a (reduction) guide train? Such could move the heavier guides of the reduction train closer to the reel while possibly only needing to add one more lighter running guide further up the blank. Am I inhaling the wrong (possibly enlightening) smoke? We are all here to learn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Reduction Guide Possitioning
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2021 02:24AM

Cannot speak to what your asking. However I can offer insight into increasing the rate rate of choke and decreasing weight of reduction train. I built a lot of light and UL rods. I am always trying to build lighter yet protect the blank. I have a bad habit of using a rod a little light for the task at hand. So I am very picky about getting a perfect static load. I usually use more guides than most would however they are runners and I save weight in my reduction guides.

My last two builds only used two guides as a reduction train and I sized them considerable smaller they what would be typical. Smaller guides will accomplish the faster choke as well as reduce weight. As for moving the reduction train closer to the reel I have seen no difference. Here are the particulars of my last builds in regards to the reduction train.

First rod is a 6 ft fast action UL. I went with Pac Bay minima match in 8, 4 low then size 4 f series for runners as needed based on static load. I forget how many I used at the moment. I am using a 1000 size reel an 6 lb braid with aprox 15 feet of flourocarbon leader. Stripper guide is aprox 18 inches from reel. Fairly typical placement. Seems like 18 to 20 inches is the sweet spot for the stripper. Rod works flawlessly. Absolutely no line slap. Reduction train seems to be just fine casting distance is very good. No issues with how line is coming off the spool.

Next rod is a 4 1/2 foot slow almost moderate action UL. Same guide setup again I forget offhand how many runners I used. This rod required 5 runners plus the two reduction guides. The reduction guides actually came into play to get a properly supported static load for this blank.As such the stripper ended up being only 13 inches from the reel. Again no issues at all.

I think the biggest key is using a very limp line that has basically no memory. Line slap is a non issue. Reduction train is really only needed to soften the angle from the reel to the runners.

I think your time is better spent in trying smaller guides and fewer of them for the reduction with a limp line instead of altering reel placement in relation to the guides.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 10, 2021 07:17AM

I have used two reduction guides successfully, too. I did not move the first guide closer than normal to the reel, but used only two reduction guides. At the time I was using Y style Alps guides, a 25 and a 10 or 12, then size 6 runners on a 7 foot MH fast action blank. The owner of the rod uses braid, not sure the pound test, and has considered the rod one of his favorites for skirted jigs for LMB. I agree with Mike S's last statement. No objective data, of course.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 10, 2021 11:57AM

Mark,
Any time that I have taped up a guide set and have had issues with line slap - I increase the height of the stripper guide and it always has taken care of the issue.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 10, 2021 03:36PM

Thanks for the replies Michael S., Michael D. and Roger.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster