I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS Info for Non-Fly blanks
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2021 11:05PM

I was looking for CCS info for rod blanks other than fly rods. Does such a data base exist for spinning/casting/other blanks? If not, how can we start one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS Info for Non-Fly blanks
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 08, 2021 11:23PM

Ed,
We will have to see what materializes this time around on the topic; I am certainly interested!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 09, 2021 01:14AM

Some oldies but goodies. There is somebody who did spend a lot of time calculating a ton of rod blanks that were not fly rod blanks but I can't seem to find it right now . It's in the archives somewhere .

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2021 07:51AM

Blank models come and go so often that it is hard to maintain such a database unless the manufacturers themselves will provide the information.

If you look in the sponsor column right now, there is such a database but unless builders will upload their own measurements to that database, it will not grow.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 09, 2021 08:22AM

Might be a long shot, but if you have specific models you're interested in, let us know. We might have data.

Date: June 09, 2021 09:35AM

Tom,
I looked at that, and I believe that it is all fly rods. I can certainly start to add to that database to include the few that I have measured, as can the rest of us on the site. Is that the best way to go , or is it more prudent to add a database for other than fly rod blanks?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 09, 2021 10:55AM

I would add to whatever is already there so as to have it all in one place. I assume it still allows new entries.

You could contact the gentleman that operates that database and see if he would add another section or category if you like.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 09, 2021 06:32PM

There is a HUGE difference between someone who uses his arm (and the "stored energy" in the rod) to fly cast and the angler who double hauls his fly casts. Some rod builders attempt to satisfy the artistic taste of the user, others try to maximize the casting skills of the user. Conflating these purposes is counter-productive, but not so much for spin-casters

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 09, 2021 09:42PM

Huge difference, same principals, same physics.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 10, 2021 07:51AM

The same physics apply to all moving objects, from tricycles to gamma rays.. In double-haul fly casting it's all about line speed, not rod speed or "stored energy". The rod, in addition to supplying the velocity advantage provided by a class three lever, takes up any slack which might be generated during the line's "U-Turn". The bow and arrow effect of the rod has a negligible effect on casting distance. You can't push on a rope - or a fishline.

Date: June 10, 2021 09:39PM

Tom,
I attempted to log in with info I have used in the past, to no avail. I also tried to reset a password/userid, and got no response. I tried to use the link to contact them and the link fails. Looks like this is database/owner is no longer active. If you, or anyone else, have gotten into the database, please advise.

Thanks for the responses.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2021 02:11PM

Ed,
Unblock your email, or send me one and I'll send what I have.

Date: June 15, 2021 11:56PM

Spencer,
How do I unblock the email?

Date: June 16, 2021 06:53AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster