I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extreme Dry conditions vs extreme humidity
Posted by: David Wilson (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2021 09:30AM

Hi All,

I recently moved to Phoenix AZ after living in south MS all of my life. As I prepare to start building rods again, I was curious what differences I should expect to see with building in such dry conditions. Has anyone found major differences with how epoxy acts from one climate to another?

Thanks in advance!

-David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extreme Dry conditions vs extreme humidity
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2021 09:44AM

Only temperature will affect the epoxy. Humidity will not. If your application area is room temp, then the epoxy won't behave any differently than it did in your previous location.

Posted by: David Wilson (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2021 10:08AM

Excellent, thank you Tom

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: June 07, 2021 11:05AM

Here is a website with more information about epoxy curing. Tom is right about temperature...

[entropyresins.com]

Epoxy Temperature and Curing

The warmer the temperature of curing epoxy, the faster it cures. Three things contribute to epoxy’s temperature:

The general surrounding temperature of your work area, or ambient temperature.
The temperature of the surface you’ve applied the epoxy to, which is also a part of ambient temperature.
The heat the epoxy generates as it cures, or exothermic heat.

To adapt to warmer temperatures, use a slower hardener to increase or maintain your open time. You can also mix smaller batches and use them up quickly. Or pour the epoxy mixture into a container with greater surface area (such as a roller pan) to allow exothermic heat to dissipate, extending open time. The sooner the mixture is transferred or applied (after thorough mixing), the longer the mixture’s available open time for coating, lay-up, or assembly.

In cool conditions, use a faster hardener or use supplemental heat to raise the epoxy temperature above the hardener’s minimum recommended application temperature. Use a hot air gun, a heat lamp, or another heat source to warm the resin – before mixing or after the epoxy is applied. Do not heat hardeners prior to mixing with resins. You can speed the epoxy cure time by applying supplemental heat to the curing epoxy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2021 11:06AM by Kent Griffith.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 07, 2021 12:05PM

David,
Because Az is much less humid than MS and depending on your location, you may find that dust could be more of an issue.

If you live in the desert (Arizona) - very low levels of precipitation, a lower level of vegetation around - and sometimes a lot of wind - be aware of dust.

Depending on your building area - you may have to take extra precautions when it comes time for applying finish and having the parts dust free.

If you live in a development with a lot of asphalt and concrete around - then it will be a lesser issue.

Take care

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 07, 2021 03:53PM

David,
All of the above are excellent replies and correct. Allow me to offer advice with mixing to you and those who may be unaware. The 2-part epoxies we use are DIFFERENT than 2-part Polyester resin (aka fiberglass resin); while the ratio of MEKP hardener for FG resin can be altered to achieve a shorter or longer pot life, it is critical that epoxy ratios are kept to the specified ratio designed by the manufacturer. The only exception I can think of is CTS Crystal Coat which allows slightly different ratios for different results.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster