I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glide bait Rod
Posted by: Lee Swaim (---)
Date: June 07, 2021 05:22AM

All,
A customer has requested me to build them a rod for throwing upto 4oz glide baits. Only problem is, I've never thrown a glide bait before. For those of you that throw them often, what are you looking for in a rod? What kind of blank would you recommend using for throwing some of these baits?

Thank you!
Lee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glide bait Rod
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: June 07, 2021 07:49AM

What is the target species?

Posted by: Lee Swaim (12.35.44.---)
Date: June 07, 2021 08:30AM

Target species will be largemouth bass.

Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: June 07, 2021 09:04AM

Without doing any digging, hard to recommend a specific blank... but think of a glide bait like a huge crankbait. Most glide bait guys want a parabolic rod that will load deep and keep fish buttoned up during the fight. I've seen recommendations in that weight range for NFC's SWB 807 or 808 (although I would lean 807) as well as the NFC bounce back blanks. Most of the feedback I've seen on the NFC swimbait blanks is the sweet spot is around the middle of the weight range (which is very wide on the NFC blanks). Other recommendation that might be more accessible with all the supply chain issues is Phenix swimbait blanks or MHX swimbait.

Posted by: Theron @ American Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: June 07, 2021 10:42AM

I have quit a bit of experience with Swimbaits, Glide Baits, and Alabama Rigs growing up in Oklahoma and going to college in Arkansas. I would recommend taking a look at the American Tackle Bushido Swimbait SWB710/12-25 Blank. This will be perfect for what you are looking for.

Date: June 07, 2021 12:06PM

Theron, would you be concerned about throwing a 4 oz glide bait on that rod? It looks like the rating is up to 3oz.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 07, 2021 07:40PM

Lee, I don't think you'd have a problem with Theron's recommendation.

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: June 08, 2021 09:31AM

Lee the SWB710/12-25 is perfect for this application. If you feel more comfortable not overweighting the blank there is the 15-30lb class in this model rated for a 4oz bait. I use these blanks for big glide baits and swim baits due to the fact that there is a more parabolic bend without such a fast taper. Some of those glide baits and swim baits can get pricey. It is not uncommon to see some of the custom models going for more than $100. So having the proper equipment for technique specific application is crucial to work these baits properly. It is also not very fun losing fish or breaking rods. I have learned for these mistakes and the Bushido SWB710/12-25 has not let me down!

Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: June 08, 2021 09:58AM

Theron or Ancelmo, would either of you feel the SWB710/12-25 would make for a good punching rod blank. Specifically for 1.5-2 oz (weight/lure) total weight punching heavy hydrilla mats? Trying to understand the versatility of this blank outside of swimbaits considering the power and parabolic nature.

Posted by: Lee Swaim (12.35.44.---)
Date: June 09, 2021 08:43AM

Ancelmo, what size of glide baits do you typically throw on the SWB710 /12-25? What would you consider it's "bread and butter" for glide baits?

Thanks,

Lee

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 11, 2021 08:54AM

Big lures use big hooks which require a good deal of pull applied to the bait quickly. Soft/slow action rods are not much good for setting big hooks.

Posted by: Chris Campbell (---.us.bosch.com)
Date: June 16, 2021 02:02PM

I just built a NFC 807-1IM and it handles a 3 oz glide with no problem. My buddy just built a similar rod but used the new NFCnNeo XH. Both rods are 8' and handled a 3oz bait but the NEO has a softer tip. This might be a good thing for a treble hook bait.

Date: June 17, 2021 07:17PM

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster