I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

In Search Of: 8-9 wt, 9'6" or similar
Posted by: Rick Van Camp (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2021 09:07AM

I have been searching for 8-9 wt blanks greater than 9" in length and less than 10'. The 9'6" blank appears to be rare these days. I have only found the Pacific Bay Arctos IM7 9'3" 9 wt and Burkheimer has a few 9'5" blanks. I am not ready for extra fast action blanks at this time.

The goal is to find a blank with sufficient extra length to protect a light tippet, such as 4X. A known good commercial rod is the older Loomis Native Run GLX in 9'6". I prefer to stay away from 10' blanks.

Please let me know if you are aware of options I have not found.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: In Search Of: 8-9 wt, 9'6" or similar
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2021 09:26AM

At one time St. Croix offered a 9'6" 8-weight model. Not sure if they still do but you could check their website to find out.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2021 10:45AM

FWIW, NFC (Loomis new company) does have a 9'6" 8 weight in 2 and 4 piece. They are on sale. Normal list price for the 4 piece is $335.79 but if you buy 3 or more now you get them for $83.95 each with free shipping. The 2 piece is even cheaper. Not like you have to buy three of the same model to get the extra discount either. I think the free shipping kicks in at $200.

You might contact them and see what they say is close to the one you like.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: June 06, 2021 10:58AM

Rick,
CTS has options for medium-fast 9'6" blanks in 8 and 9wt .
Your email is hidden.
Email me for info and pricing - hladen@hotmail.com
Herb
U.S. CTS Rep

Date: June 06, 2021 12:43PM

Russ, Herb,

Thanks for the info. The only 9'6" I saw on the NFC site was a medium action blank. Okay for trout (i.e., Winston WT) but not the best for larger fish. I will contact them this week.

I did check the CTS website too but did not see anything. I know the Affinity-X is a nice blank but I think I am not ready for extra fast yet...

Rick

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2021 01:18PM

The F 968-4F (Classic) was the one I was talking about. They list it as fast action. Never bought a NFC fly rod. I have been happy with their other blanks and at the sale prices consider them good value.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 06, 2021 02:40PM

An X fast action doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you can fish and enjoy a fly rod, the power does, since there is no standard for what a 8, or 9 wt. blank is, there lies the problem not the action. Many rods are heavier in the butt than you would imagine, my Sage 8 wt. TCR is 10.70/68°, a Pac Bay 8 wt. Quickline I built was 9.0/68°, a rod I wouldn't be afraid to teach anyone on. Action angles the same, completely different rods. G. Loomis GLX 8 wt. 7.8/70, another good teaching rod. I forget the specs on a RX7 9 1/2 ft. 8 wt., but it is too a x fast action, but a rod anyone could learn on and use.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: June 06, 2021 03:57PM

Rick
I trust that you saw my email explaining that CTS' site does not show a lot of what I can get.
The Affinity- MX would be more to your liking.
And, if they have designed for the Affimity- M, that could be good for you.
Herb

Date: June 06, 2021 05:49PM

Russ,

I was searching specifically for a 9 wt blank on the NFC site. I have also found this is not a popular rod weight - not that it ever was. I have never owned a Loomis rod either but I think the quality has always been there. Prices of OEM rods have gone too far for my budget so I am beginning to build my own rods even if it just keeps me active and involved in fly fishing. This sport is too good to sit on the sidelines. If Herb can get me a blank in time for an August trip I am likely go that route.

Spencer - In my comment regarding action I was using this term to describe the more stringent timing requirements to cast it well. It sounds like I need to find some reading material. Any recommendations? Ultimately, I would like to become a certified casting instructor.

In general, I also need to be concerned about weight and swing weight, but I do not think the latter term gets implemented correctly very often. I'm trying to build a rod I can use for Steelhead, Coho, and Chinook in Lake Michigan tributaries so I am biased toward the 9 wt. Most of this is also new to me so I need to be concerned about 40 pound fish as an upper limit - so I suspect.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2021 05:53PM by Rick Van Camp.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 07, 2021 07:59AM

There is considerable difference in fly rods preferred by those who are double-haul casters and those who are not. It's hard to give helpful suggestions about blank choice without this information.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster