I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Pete Holloway's "Easy Spiral System"
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2021 01:11PM

I solved most all line stacking by putting the stripper directly at 0 degrees if followed up with the next guide at around 60* and adjusting that and the 3rd guide to make a straight line coming from the reel with as little angle as possible. I like the first 180* guide to be behind the major bend of the rod but sometimes that is not possible without messing up the straightness of the line, so that is not always the case (at the bend or beyond). On most fast or extra fast blanks it is not a problem. This should work with a variety of reels. I will only build a casting rod to match the color of the casting reel, if that is what the customer wants, and not try to mess up the performance. All my casting rods will work with similar profiled casting reels. Different heights in the reels profile require different distance and / or height to the stripper guide. Spinning rods are built to the reel because of guide placement although they will also work with similar sized reels, but I try to be more specific. This is what works for me. I really enjoy these threads that address performance, this type of debate makes us all better rod builders, open minds and thinking out of the box will lead to future progress.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mo Yang (---)
Date: June 19, 2021 03:49PM

Kent Griffith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark Talmo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I prefer to get the line to the bottom of the
> > blank as soon as possible to reap as much
> benefit
> > from the spiral-wrapped guides as possible,
>
> This idea is a misnomer. Getting to the bottom of
> the blank as soon as possible may actually be the
> worst thing to do, and may not give most benefit
> from the spiral wrapping idea.
>
> I've been spiral wrapping bass fishing rods for
> more than 25 years and my experience shows me to
> use the natural taper of the rod blank itself to
> get the line around it further out away from the
> reel for best results. Here is an image of a
> finished spiral wrap.
>
>
>
> Please notice the line flow through the transition
> guides is perfectly ruler straight right into
> 180's further out on the blank. NO bends in the
> line going through any transition guide. And the
> line rides in the top center or bottom center of
> the transition guides as it is supposed to do.
> Side loading of any guides should not be allowed,
> but that is what happens when one tries and force
> the line to flow where it does not want to as in
> trying to get it around the blank as soon as
> possible. So my point is, the idea of getting
> around a blank as soon as possible does not always
> deliver the greatest benefit or results. It is
> actually forcing the line the flow in or through
> places it does not naturally want to be because it
> is being forced there based on an imposed idea.
>
> Let the materials be the guide to the ultimate
> performing spiral wrap!
>
> Post some photos of how your spiral wraps turn out
> and let's see how well it works...

Ken, a huge Thank You for your post. I have not thought about running it on the top/bottom of the guide ring. The moment I read your comment, it immediately made sense. This changes the way I think about spiral builds. Thanks.

ps: Do have a Q. Based on your photo, it looks like there is a bit of side loading on the 3rd guide, counting from the butt side of the rod? Or am I simply not perceiving the photo accurately?

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: June 20, 2021 08:36AM

I think Don Morton deserves all the credit for authoring the rules I followed to build my spiral wraps. It was published back in 2007 or 2008 which is how I found it.

And that third guide is a straight pull on the rod. Line is flowing in top center of that guide. Each are carefully positioned for this. No side loading, no torquing at all.

As this rod and others like it load up with a fish they are amazing with how they perform.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster