I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nymph rod single foot guide sizes
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 03, 2021 11:48PM

I am going to build a 10 foot 3-weight rod for euro style nymph fishing. I am planning on using one size 10 stripping guide and going right to 11 size 2 single-foot running guides. It seems to me the taper approach is not warranted, as I did minimal taper (size 4 and 2 after two strippers) on my last fly rod and it casts just fine.

Any thoughts, recommendations or experiences? Recommendation on guide types?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nymph rod single foot guide sizes
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.ipv6.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: June 04, 2021 01:44AM

Put the lightest guide you find.
Alps signle foot Light Wire are my first choice (size 1 as the y don’t have smaller) you can also use REC light duty single foot.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2021 07:11AM

Use the smallest size that will pass your line connections and knots. Also the least amount of size changes, typically limited to 3. You want to keep the added weight to the blank at a minimum.

Personally, I am not a fan of single foot guides on fly rods. I use Snake Brand or REC Recoils on my builds. I'll go on to say that a lot of the mass produced Euro rods that you see today do have single foot guides on them, my belief, its cheaper and quicker to put a rod out with one guide wrap vs the double wrap of a snake guide. Sure some of the single foot guides do have a small foot print on the blank, but it really is not that much different when compared to a quality bought snake guide.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 04, 2021 05:45PM

Not one of the last 500 fly rods I have built, have had double foot running guides !

Double foot running guides in my estimation, provide no benefits and have the penalty of added weight, especially in the upper sections of the ROD.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 04, 2021 05:51PM

REC lite snake guides are great, but if you happen to bump one of these guides parallel to the rod axis the guides are so flexible that the guide may well "back out" from under its thread wraps - and you will be unable to slide it back or keep it under the guide wraps. A couple-three Forhan Wraps on the leg of every REC Lite guide will prevent this problem and leave you with a "lite" AND durable fly rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2021 05:54PM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 04, 2021 10:18PM

I see no problem with your decision.

Posted by: Gerard Carmody (---.b49624.bne.nbn.aussiebb.net)
Date: June 05, 2021 09:57PM

Hi Bill,

I started up rod building again last year during our Covid lockdown. It saved my sanity (more than a little) but didn't stop me going off and measuring a whole heap of guide weights.

REC single foot:

RSF 2 0.0455 gm
RSF 3 0.0575
RSF 4 0.0753
RSF 5 0.0886

Fuji single foot
T-KTTG 7 0.1478
T-KTTG 6 0.1215
T-KTTG 5.5 0.0941
T-KTTG 5 0.0767

(I haven't measured REC double foot snakes).

I also weighed on tissue paper replicates of typical epoxy applications (sub tissue weight).

EPOXY application single foot average 0.152 gm
EPOXY application single foot heavier 0.20

In terms of limiting weight on the rod, the epoxy coating seems to have biggest impact, and double foot application more so.

I really enjoy these forums, thanks for sharing your insights.

Gerard

Posted by: Angelo Biviano (---)
Date: June 08, 2021 10:10PM

Here's what I like on my euro-nymph builds:
10 stripper, Sz. 2 snake, 1/0 for the rest to the tip. If you're euronymphing, you'll have leader running through those 1/0s, but they can handle a 4wt. line.

FWIW: I've done single foot and snakes: line sometimes wraps around a single foot, not on the double foots.

Recommend Snake brand lite wire for both the double foot or single foot.

Have fun!

Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 09, 2021 08:21PM

Thanks Gerard for posting those weights. It was very interesting.

I am also putting together the parts for a 10 ft 3# Euro nymph rod.

I was planning to use my usual set up - lots of size 1 ,light wire, single foot "snakes", with that guide also used in place of a tip top. (Tube style tip tops are, in my opinion, way too heavy and unnecessary.)

But I'm now thinking of trying something else.

I think (without much scientific evidence) that:
- a size 1 double foot weighs about the same as a size 1 single foot guide.
- a size 2/0 double foot weighs less than size 1 single foot guide.
- a size 2/0 double foot passes knots about as well as a size 1 single foot guide.
- a size 2/0 double foot resists icing about as well (or better) than a size 1 single foot guide.
- a size 1 double foot has a "footprint" of about 2 x 6 mm = 12 mm
- a size 1 single foot has a "footprint" of about 1 x 6 mm = 6 mm
- a sufficient number of coats of Permagloss weighs less than one average coat of epoxy

Gerard has proven that the weight of the epoxy to hold on a light fly guide is many times the weight of the guide itself.

Why are the feet on double foot snakes so long? I think that the blank will be plenty protected and the wraps will be plenty strong if the "footprint" of the double foot snakes is 2 x 3mm = 6 mm total.

On my upcoming 10 ft 3# Euro nymph rod I'll probably use lots of size 2/0 ,light wire, double foot snakes. I will get the Dremel tool out and hack their feet to about 3 mm each, and use Permagloss not epoxy..

Opinions? Do others have experience with this?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster