I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow titanium chrome
Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: June 01, 2021 10:56AM

Does anyone have pictures of rods you built with this rod color? I'm having trouble finding a color scheme/design that goes with it. I'm toying with something like this: updated links to work

[photos.app.goo.gl]

[photos.app.goo.gl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2021 12:53PM by zachary guyach.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow titanium chrome
Posted by: Michael Ward (107.126.32.---)
Date: June 01, 2021 11:25AM

I’ve built a couple of rods now on the blank - one in collegiate colors of Virginia Tech abs one in a Baltimore Ravens theme.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2021 11:31AM by Michael Ward.

Posted by: Joel Babin (98.39.46.---)
Date: June 01, 2021 12:23PM

That Ravens theme looks sharp. Very nice

Posted by: Michael Ward (107.126.32.---)
Date: June 01, 2021 03:49PM

Joel Babin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That Ravens theme looks sharp. Very nice

Thanks!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 01, 2021 03:54PM

One thing about that blank color is that almost anything goes well with it. I like your proposal. I've used red, I think candy apple. Will see if I have a photo.

Date: June 01, 2021 03:56PM

Nope, no photos

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 01, 2021 04:03PM

Simple remove it it. If I wanted a painted blank I would use Rod Geeks, Their is zero reason for paint on a blank other then it being a cheap way to finish a Blank. At least give Me the choice Batson!!! I buy very few Rainshadow blanks anymore From Them because they don't listen, My number #1 reason is 75% of my Customers don't want it. And that also includes Me!!!!!

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 01, 2021 04:14PM

Very surprised Batson doesn't offer non painted / coated blanks . Now I do , thanks Jay.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2021 06:36PM

I've used blue alot.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 02, 2021 05:13PM

We sell TONS of TC blanks, they're not going anywhere. We do have a new blank series coming out in a raw sanded-only finish. It's not cheaper to paint blanks then to sand only. It's cheapest to leave witness marks on a blank and not sand or paint. We paint blanks because customers (obviously not Jay) like painted blanks. Blanks used for applications where sensitivity and weight reduction is key can benefit slightly by being left unpainted. Anyone touting unsanded and/or unpainted blanks as being a large factor on blank quality or performance is drinking someone's Kool-Aid in this writer's opinion.

-Geoff @Batson

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 02, 2021 07:45PM

Copy that Geoff.

Love your painted Batson blanks.

Date: June 02, 2021 08:36PM

Nobody said unpainted blanks are superior to painted blanks but there is a much larger group of people out there than I believe manufacturers realize that much prefer unpainted blanks for good reasons . I'm one of those people but I have to admit that I'm one of the few out there that is not a fan of the Batson blanks even though I thoroughly checked out and actually fished a few Immortal popping blanks. I do think they're great value sticks however .

I think Batson fans will be happy to hear you have a new series coming out that has a raw sanded finish .

Best of luck with them

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 03, 2021 04:38PM

Interesting Chris. Batson RX8 XP964/XP903 in titanium chrome is one of the best popping rod blanks I have ever used. Can't speak to their newer line.

To the OP, Gudebrod Garnet with a silver or green metallic trim band looks nice.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 03, 2021 09:58PM

Russell,
I agree with your comment about this blank.

Wonderful blank.

Date: June 03, 2021 11:26PM

Don't like them at all Russ , that's why I specifically said I'm one of the few . I do think as I said they're very very good for the money spent , it's hard to find a blank that will perform as well for the amount of money you need to part with to acquire one . Value leader for sure.

Date: June 04, 2021 11:34AM

Chris,
May I ask specifically, what reason exactly do you not care for "them at all?"

Weight, length, finish, action, power, appearance, feel, What don't you like about these blanks compared to the virtual identical blank from a different manufacturer that you do like and use?

If you don't care for them - compared to a blank that you do use - what is different?

Just wondering.

By the way, I am a retired engineer and my job when working was to design the best product for the particular need and customer application. That is why I am curious as to what went wrong with the blanks that you don't care to use in your rod builds.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 04, 2021 12:54PM

Certain blanks aren't everyone's cup of tea and we get that. Below are a couple of blanks I'd consider "off the radar" for many inshore builders. Y'all may want to give them a try and see if the work for you and your customers.

RX6 Model: SB842, fast taper fast tip medium power. SB's are the most overlooked series in our lineup, don't let the standard modulus fool you. These are high performers.

Revelation RX7 Crankbait Model: REVCB70M and MH, great mod/mod fast actions perfect for popping with bait. We sell almost as many for inshore as the REVIP series.

Eternity RX10 Model: ETES72M, will be available from dealers in a couple weeks. High-Modulus Light Fast Sensitive / Best thing we've ever produced.....

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: June 04, 2021 03:32PM

SB841-3
Trout /walleye /small mouth bass finnesse presentations travel rod

7.0" 6-12 1/8-3/8 0.605 6.0 Fast 2.2 ML

This is a great versatile and hadsome (natural gloss) travel (3 piece) rod for inshore just about anything. I use it as a spin rod for light jigs and cranks + finesse now and then. I carry it in the bonefish boat as a rod to use for bones with light glider jigs tied as shrimp if it get too windy for my fly skills. And with a surface plug and wire leader it takes on the occasional barracuda very nicely. Quick to load the heavy butt and nice light tip. I measure it at more power than ML and faster than Fast.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: June 05, 2021 12:29PM

Lots of good info here, I ended up just going with something like this

[photos.app.goo.gl]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster