I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Figure out guide sizes
Posted by: Rick Boley (104.220.50.---)
Date: June 01, 2021 12:04AM

I'm building a NFC St 905-2 IM. I'll be using it as a spinning rod for Salmon in Alaska. The question I have is how do I figure out the guide sizes I should use? I have the guide spacing chart but I'm not sure the correct sizes to use.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Figure out guide sizes
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: June 01, 2021 02:14AM

Whenever dealing with 'Spinning' setup's the first thing that needs to be determined is what reel and line type/ diameter you plan on using because that's what determines the guide choices and sizing . Believe it or not the majority of people who ask about guide sizing and types fail to mention the reel and line choices they plan on using . People still throw out recommendations without knowing that information but that information is needed to provide the most accurate and build specific matches to what you're trying to accomplish .

It's also a good idea to explain if the fishing will be taking place on a moving vessel or will the fishing be more shore bound based .

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: June 01, 2021 02:49AM

Size 25 match guide for height.
Then, size 16 SV then 8 and 6 for runners to the tip with a size 6 tip top.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 01, 2021 08:17AM

Go to the AnglersResource site in the left margin and study their info on guides. For all my spin I use KLH reduction guides and KB/KT runners per the AnglersResource recommendations and software/stress test tutorial. Always works fine. As Chris says, you need to decide on reel size and line type and pound test that you plan to use. I use braid up to 20 pound test and always use the KLH 20-20-5.5M reduction train located per the KR software on their page, and mostly size 4 runners. But if you're going to use a stout leader with a double uni knot you may want to go with size 5 or 5.5 runners.

There are a lot of ways to go to get a good rod. But I've found the Fuji method to be very reliable, and their guides bullet-proof.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 01, 2021 08:20AM

I should have mentioned that the setup I use works fine with Shimano Stradic 4000's, 20 pound Hitena Pure Line Braid, 18 pound FC leader, with an Alberto leader to line knot. I don't use mono or FC with spin.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 01, 2021 10:55AM

A guide chart is no good without the sizes they used, I believe that is a 10-30 lb line rod, if you start with a double foot 30 than end with 8 running guides, I see no way any reasonable reel/line setup wouldn't work. A double foot reduction train would ensure most of the banging around done in travel and boat transport will still leave you with functioning rod. It's the way G Loomis and Lamiglas does their like powered salmon spinning rods that see a lot of guide service in Alaska.
The Anglers Resource - Fuji site has some tutorals/vids that will help with guide selection.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2021 11:24AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2021 12:15PM

If you use the 27X method and lay it out on the bench, the line path itself will tell you what sizes you need to use. The only downside here is that you will need to have a small selection of guides already at hand.

Date: June 01, 2021 05:20PM

Thanks for the replies.
17# test mono with 3/4 oz lures. throwing from shoreline. Reel size? I'm not sure. Thanks for the help. This is all new to me. Are there any other resources online where I could read about this?

Thanks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 01, 2021 09:14PM

If you want I can give you the guide sizes used on the heavy powered Lamiglas salmon spinning rods.
There is a decent picture of what the guides look like in the Kenai rods section of their rod site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2021 09:18PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2021 09:09AM

This website is full of them. Here's one example- [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: June 02, 2021 10:17PM

Thanks for the article. Now I have a better understanding of how to pick the correct guides. If you know of any more resources for guide placement and how to pick the correct size please list the.

Thanks again.

Date: June 02, 2021 11:15PM

Rick , I just read through that article again despite having already read it numerous times already in the past and when I tell you it's by far the easiest most comprehensive article written on spinning guide placement I mean it . If after reading through that you still have questions please speak up and let us know what exactly you're confused about .

Did you notice how the reel choice and location ( Where along the blank the angler is going to locate it) is needed to figure out the guide sizes and spacing in regards to that specific article ? You said you will be using 17 pound mono for line , if that's the case then a NGC build which is exactly what is shown in the article is the way to go. A Fuji KR concept rod would be recommended for lighter line especially braid . 17 pound mono is really pushing it towards a NGC build .

RodBuilding.org is the # 1 rod building website that most other sites get a lot of their info from especially about rod setup , guides , choke guide location etc... You have already found the pinnacle it's now time to answer any questions you're still confused about .

Date: June 04, 2021 12:25AM

Chris,
and every one else that posted thanks for the information. This is a new hobby for me and I don't know anyone that I can just ask. Thanks for the help.

Date: June 04, 2021 10:08AM

You don't need to know anybody Rick , I don't know anybody either and even if I did I would always come to Rodbuilding.org and ask here first . People needing help with answers on rod building questions no matter how basic or complicated is why this forum exists . The people on this site truly look forward to new questions they come here for the sole purpose of helping others . On another note there is something that many people forget and that's how much information is in the archives dating back to when this site first started and I have spent hours using the search box for all types of information . It's an amazing resource but the 'Search' feature isn't displayed in big lettering at the top of the page for all to see , it's directly below and a little bit to the left of the FAQ'S box.

You can find any question you can imagine by using the search feature or you can simply ask directly it's up to you , regardless I wish you much luck and success in the future .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster