I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dark Green Aluminum Winding check Source??
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2021 03:26PM

Trying to find a dark green aluminum check. Everything I have found and used in the past is more a light lime green. Looking for something more of a forest green. Need 8 to 10 mm. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dark Green Aluminum Winding check Source??
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 31, 2021 04:42PM

Hello Michael.

Try MudHole.

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2021 05:56PM

I have several of the mudhole green winding checks and they are definitely NOT dark green

Tom

Date: May 31, 2021 07:34PM

Yep mudholes green ain't going to work.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 01, 2021 11:25AM

Hello Michael.

You could buy a plain aluminum check and paint it yourself, and once installed cover it with finish so it wont nick easily.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2021 05:03PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: June 01, 2021 03:51PM

Might go that route. Just was hoping to have the known durability of anodized finish.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: June 01, 2021 04:18PM

Michael,
You probably will not find a dark green anodized color. If you look at the different anodized colors from different vendors and even different anodizing facilities, all the limited colors are virtually identical. Producing an anodized color is much more involved than simply mixing different pigments as with paint.
I personally do not care for winding checks, so I make my own “fillet” using thread finish and pigment to obtain the precise color I want. Simply mask-off the blank to the preferred width of the fillet (mine are usually < .125in). Use the remaining portion of finish left over from the guide wraps, add your pigment, apply to the fillet location and remove the tape = done deal. The finished product is perfect every time = is as big or small as you want it, has a nice concave radius, totally seals the blank to the grip or whatever, the fit is obvious impeccable, no clean-up of squeezed-out epoxy, costs and weighs less than a winding check, oh, one more thing = any color you want!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: June 02, 2021 01:55PM

Michael,
Allow me to correct myself. I checked with a friend who runs a fairly large anodizing shop regarding custom anodize colors. He informed me that while most shops only offer a single shade of each color, he can match just about any shade of color = I was only partially correct with my earlier statement. While it is possible to match the shade of green you are looking for, a minimum charge of $60 - $80 would apply. Now there’s an expensive winding check! I’ll stick with thread finish and pigment.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: June 02, 2021 02:27PM

Mark thanks for checking into that also for the email. Little to much for me to spend. I am going to try some of the powder paints sold for jig heads. I know they are very durable and they offer a few colors that look like what I am looking for. I will order some plain aluminum checks so I have no base color altering the look of the powder color. Will see how it goes.

Date: June 02, 2021 05:37PM

Michael,
You are welcome. Sorry for the partially correct information in the first post.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster