I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Latest Spinning Guide System?
Posted by: Scot Abel (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 01, 2021 10:28PM

Thank you everyone for sharing your perspectives. I have learned a lot in the last few days, reading your responses, digging deeper into new, different and sometimes competing ideas and synthesizing my new ideas with my old knowledge and experiences. Factory rods are dull and boring. So would be my rods if I stuck with the same ol' same ol' and never tried anything new. In America we have a near infinite offering of music, autos, and lures (while some are best at catching fisherman), most often, one never being "better" than another, just different. Gotta love it. I have decided that I am going to order materials to build two rods, one for my father and one for myself! One based on the KR principles and one on the Microwave system. I greatly appreciate all of your replies. Thank you.

This has all brought me excitement, getting back into what I had successfully used as an escape many years ago, fishing, building lures and rods. Unfortunately, sometimes life's trials and tribulations send one seeking that refuge again, grasping a fishing rod. I know my therapist is somewhere in the bottom of my tackle box. I will go fishing with anyone and talk about ANYTHING, as long as we continue smiling, forgetting about the rough spots in the road and casting away. There will always be a spot in the river or boat next to me for honorable fishermen and women. If the people of the world had their priorities straight, there would be a shortage of fishing rods.

Thank you kindly for the updates on spinning guide systems.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: June 02, 2021 10:55AM

Kendall Cikanek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I called you politely, three times. The first two
> times I got disconnected. The third time, I got
> very little in the way of meaningful answers. What
> is your affiliation with Mudhole?

As far as affiliation with Mudhole, I don’t know what you are asking. They are without a doubt the largest rod building supplier in the world, by far selling more blanks and rod building related products than all other companies combined. The American Tackle Company is a component brand just like others selling product and vying for a spot within Mudhole’s distribution just like brands such as; Fuji/Angler’s Resource, Aftco, CalStar, Winthrop, Pac Bay, etc. etc. etc. And while they are our largest distributor/dealer customer we work hard day in and day out to create demand enough to some day to reach the level of sales some other brands experience within Mudhole’s vast distribution.

I do apologize because I don’t recall ever speaking with you about these subjects. While I don’t know what qualifies as meaningful answers to you, if you still have questions complaints, or comments you are welcome to contact me at (800) 516-1750 ext.1202. I know about as much as anyone regarding the topics you mentioned.

darrin@americantackle.us

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 08, 2021 08:23AM

What is considered to be a long cast with a spinning rod using #8 mono and 1/4 oz. weight? An average cast? Sure, there are other variables, but basic agreement on facts/definitions is necessary for a coherent discussion.

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: June 08, 2021 09:03AM

First one has to grasp the concept of loading and unloading a rod during a cast! (I could not resist) Ha!

Let's see... a Phil cast with zero rod addition would drop it at your 2 feet! Maybe less than 100 feet.

But a superman cast with a fully loaded and unloaded rod zipping the lure into outer space, may be closer to 300 feet!

(Just guessing of course)

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2021 05:33PM

FWIW they used to have casting competitions at the expo. 3/8 ounce rubber plug with 6'6" maximum length rod.

"Last year, not a single entrant managed to hit the 150 foot mark with a 3/8ounce plug on a 6'6" rod. So that's still something to shoot for."

Given that, 300 feet with 1/4 ounce sounds very optimistic.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: June 08, 2021 06:30PM

While my fish-rods are not in use I store them bent at a 45 degree angle, storing energy. When I cast I release the line when the rod has completely unbent, allowing the rod's full energy to push the line through the guide train faster than the rod tip moves. Try it!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster