I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Masking tape dispenser
Posted by: Billy Westcott (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 30, 2021 10:09AM

Is it worth buying a masking tape dispenser and does it save time?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Masking tape dispenser
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 30, 2021 10:20AM

I’ve never used one.
Norm

Date: May 30, 2021 10:21AM

Thanks Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2021 10:21AM

It allows for one handed operation if that's important to you.

Date: May 30, 2021 11:21AM

I quest I’ll try the 3 roll dispenser from Mudhole. Thanks Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 30, 2021 01:04PM

Billy,
Although I have several tape dispensers of different types, I don't use any of them for rod building.

However, I do use the dispensers for the tape that I use when I pack rods and other items.

I have a clean metal bed on my metal power wrapper.

For doing guide taping or guide wrapping I use a combination of 1/4 inch wide and 1/8th inch wide masking tape.

I use the bright colored narrow tape used by auto paint detailers and purchase the tape at the paint shops.

Before starting a guide tape up or a guide wrap, I will pull off about a dozen pieces of tape at an appropriate length for the job and lightly stick it to the side of the metal wrapper bed.

NOTE:
When pulling tape off the roll and also sticking it lightly to the metal wrapper bed - my fingers never touch the adhesive side of the tape.

The reason for this is that everyone has skin oil on their fingers. If you grab the end of the tape with your fingers, and then, try to adhere it to the blank, the end of the tape that has been touched by your fingers will not stick to the blank.

So, there will be times that I will grab the end of the tape when cutting it off the roll. But then, I take the untouched end and stick it to the side of the wrapper bed. Then, when I grab the tape, the untouched end of the tape goes onto the rod blank and it sticks well since I have not touched that end with my fingers.

Also, when cutting the tape off the reel, I use sewing scissors that are essentially nippers:

I always have a pair or two of these nipping scissors for cutting thread as well as cutting tape. I will generally take the blades off the nipper and sharpen the blades about once a year on my 600 grit 1 inch wide belt sander. It only takes a moment or two to put a scissors sharp edge back on the blades that will nip and cut easily with no particular force on the part of the user.

[sewingspider.com]

-----
Speaking of scissors.

I generally never use a razor blade when building rods. For cutting wrapping thread close to the wraps, I use a pair of Dr. Slick fly tying scissors:

[www.jsflyfishing.com]

In particular, I have used one of these scissors for the last many years:

[www.jsflyfishing.com]

I generally sharpen these scissors about once every 5 years or so.

As the label on the scissors say - these scissors are slick and cut very closely and very slickly. Because you are using a pair of scissors and not a blade, you don't have to worry about cutting a wrap on the rod because the other side of the scissors is on that side of the cut.

Good luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 30, 2021 01:07PM

p.s.
Another reason that I don't use a tape dispenser is because it is not convenient.

When I use tape for my guide tape ons, and thread wraps, I hold the roll of tape in one hand and the scissors in the other hand. I put the pulled out end of tape on the metal bed of the wrapper, pull off as much as I want and snip the tape with the scissors and go to the next dozen that I will cut at one time. Simple easy and quick. If needed I can stack a half dozen rolls of tape in one spot on the bench that if it were in a tape dispenser would only hold one roll of tape.

Take care

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 30, 2021 03:50PM

Billy,
Personally, I do not use one but others do and I can understand how it could be convenient. If I were to purchase one, I would look for the heaviest one so it does not move on the bench without permanently mounting it.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 30, 2021 06:36PM

I don't use one.

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: May 30, 2021 07:40PM

I have a few that i use yes one hand tape dispensing but the ones i have are heavy. makes thing easy

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: May 31, 2021 10:18AM

Note the 3 spool tape dispenser mounted on a fabricated steel stand. Bottom of the steel stand is a piece of 1" thick steel plate, so it stays where you put it. Felt covered bottom so it does not dig into the bench when I slide it.. And this puts the tape dispenser up high for an easy reach over the rod lathe.

Old School: My rod lathe from the 1970's when commercial built ones were not easy to find. Note the fabricated steel base for the masking tape dispensers, same one as in the above photo but before paint. Photo is a digital copy of a old Kodachrome slide. Powered by a 1/4 hp DC motor, motor speed controller on the bench leg under the lathe base.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2021 11:27AM by John Ricks.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.102.---)
Date: May 31, 2021 10:55AM

To cut tape: [www.walmart.com]
To cut thread: [www.walmart.com]
To flush cut Thread tags: [www.walmart.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster