I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Foul up. Help
Posted by: Amber Davis (---)
Date: May 30, 2021 08:03AM

Got an old Fenwick ive redone and some how I got my reel seat and guides out of alignment. Now already applied epoxy and need to scoot reel seat over just a hair. How do I fix my foul up? Without tearing down my rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foul up. Help
Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: May 30, 2021 08:08AM

At this point it might be easier and faster to cut off guides and move them to match reel seat.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 30, 2021 08:14AM

You can fish it as is and I doubt if you will find any issue with it. But if you are like I am, the appearance will bother you. The only solution that is really going to fix it is to remove, move, and re-wrap the guides.

If the misalignment is minor you may be able to just move the first guide and you won't notice the others since they are smaller. Might be worth a try.

I would not try to move the seat. If you can get the epoxy soft enough to scoot the seat over just a hair its integrity will be compromised and it may fail later. If you choose to move the seat, take it right off and re-start with new epoxy. The biggest problem I've seen with purchased rods, other than poor quality cork, is the failure of the seat epoxy.

Posted by: Billy Westcott (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 30, 2021 10:48AM

I agree with Micheal. If it’s a casting rod move the first guide. Then it will be like a semi acid wrap rod.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 30, 2021 11:28AM

The smart bet is the slight misalignment won't make a measurable difference in the rod's performance [might even improve it] - but knowing the misalignment will drive you crazy. It would me. I like the idea of splitting the difference by moving the first guide.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2021 05:49PM

I would cut off the guides and re-wrap. The extra practice will make you more likely to triple check alignment in the future.

There is another way though I hesitate to mention it. You can cut the reel seat and blank in half. Then make a spiral cut in each half of the reel seat and use a screwdiver in the cut to pop the reel seat off. Place masking tape arbors on each end of the blank for the new reel seat. Remove butt cap/gimbal (Or drill a hole in it) and fit a piece of fiberglass blank to the inside your blank matching the taper as best you can. A piece around 6 inches long will do. Better to use an aluminum reel seat so there will be no possibility of flexing in the area. Then glue it all up make sure of your alignment. An old time trick for when someone wants a reel seat replaced but isn't willing to spend much.

You can also remove the rear grip and spiral cut the reel seat. Just tricky to do the rear grip from the butt end. Definitely an option if using EVA grips though.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 30, 2021 06:45PM

Michael's likely correct, but I wouldn't like looking at it either. So move the guides if you do anything, as all above have advised. Moving the seat is not an option in my book. Good to hear you have pride in your craft!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster