I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seeking bonefish spinning rod blank recommendations
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 29, 2021 06:41PM

Title says it all. I'll be fishing south Florida so the bonefish aren't very big (generally).

Not an area I have much experience with. Wondering what length and power to get. Probably soak some live bait and cast some jigs. Count on 3 to 5 (max) pound fish.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeking bonefish spinning rod blank recommendations
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2021 08:24PM

Popping rod blanks are a good option. Nothing less than 7 feet, with 7.5 at the most. Fast action. Any of the general "4-power" models should suffice.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: May 29, 2021 09:04PM

Tom , curious as to why no longer than 7.5 feet ? I myself have fished 7'6" rods but found 8 foot inshore rods to cast far better but you think that's not a good fit ?

Date: May 29, 2021 09:14PM

I shouldn't say that - an 8 footer would be fine. But the 7.5 footer over a long day, assuming you're holding the rod, may be a bit more comfortable.

Date: May 29, 2021 09:25PM

I have never fished for Bonefish so I was just curious , sounds like long days with a lot of repeated casting in a flats/ mangrove type environment . Russ please report on your trip and how it went If you do go . Thanks much

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 29, 2021 10:08PM

Select the blank power based on the expected lure weight to be cast.

Date: May 29, 2021 10:40PM

Chris, more about if a fresh water rod I just ordered would cross over to bonefish. Ashamed to say I grew up in an area with the best flats fishing in the USA and never did it. Always been more of a "blue water" guy. They aren't around mangroves. Think water that can be miles from land yet a few feet deep. Not to say you can't catch them closer to land.

Tom, I was wondering if a 6# class might do it. A 4 power popping rod is a good bit stronger (to me). That said the few I have caught always left me wondering how that size fish took me for a XX+ yard run on that tackle. Could be wrong but I picture a live shrimp with at most a small split shot, or a 1/4 oz max jig. Heck guys seem to be handling permit with a HS9000

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: May 29, 2021 10:51PM

Not around mangroves ? Tells you how much I know about fishing in Florida which is essentially ZERO . I was thinking about the 'Snook' not the Bonefish I believe Snook hang out around mangroves if not then I give up . I can't help with the freshwater rods but following this topic to learn about Florida fishing.

Date: May 29, 2021 10:57PM

You could drop back to the same blank in just about anyone's "2 power" if you feel a 4 is too much.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: May 29, 2021 11:13PM

I’ve only fished for bonefish with a fly rod, but I would readily build a spinning rod for them on the Point Blank, PB7101MF, blank. It’s a very good match for length, weight, and action. Point blanks are also light and reliable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2021 11:14PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 30, 2021 01:13AM

Russell, if you are willint ro try a bit shorter rod, check out the American Tackle Matrix 2-piece rated for 6-15 line and 1/4-5/8 lures. I have several and they are fabulous rods and the blanks weigh less than 2oz so it is no problem to cast all day with them. They have plenty of backbone to handle the Bonefish you are targeting.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 30, 2021 10:46AM

This blank has turned out to be an excellent flats spin rod, and won't break the bank. I use it for smallmouth light cranks/jiogs/finesse/just about everything. It has a very light tip for casting light lures, yet quickly gets into a very substantial backbone, AA makes it more like an X-fast. Its CCS number for power makes it more than the typical ML power. And, it travels well. Hard to beat. It handled a 45" cuda well in the Bahamas. I use it with small glider jigs tied as shrimp for windy day bones.

Rainshadow RX6 SB841-3
Trout /walleye /small mouth bass finnesse presentations travel rod

7.0" 6-12 1/8-3/8 0.605 6.0 Fast 2.2 ML

If one wanted it a little longer it would be easy to add an extension to the butt.

Date: May 30, 2021 05:24PM

Thanks gentlemen. Seems the consensus is ML (6-12) minimum and a little heavier preferred.

Lately I have been a sucker for the NFC deals and the arsenal is lacking in UL to L power rods. One I just grabbed is supposed to be a remaster of the Loomis TSR 862-2 GLX. Some reviews suggested the Loomis rod could handle the smaller bonefish. Given the 4-8# line rating that is now sounding optimistic.

We now have a number of very hard fighting exotic panfish here in addition to peacock and large mouth bass. Should be a blast for them. Can always use it to catch bait in saltwater too.

Doing a little research on bonefish tackle I stumbled on an interesting tidbit. Fishery is strictly catch and release now. They estimate a single bonefish has a value of $3,500.00 per year to the Florida economy. Multiply that by it's 20 year lifespan and that is one valuable fish:)

P.S. Yes Cris, snook in the mangroves. But if you ever get the chance try to catch them in clean saltwater. The eating quality is about as good as it gets but they can taste like mud in some mangrove areas. Find a place with a piling and a light on it. Mr snook will be hiding downstream behind the piling conserving energy and awaiting his next meal. A HUGE live shrimp is an excellent choice. The battle is all about getting him away from that piling. Heavy mono leader and don't give him an inch until away from the piling. Think large mouth bass on steroids. IIRC Florida record is around 45 pounds but anything above 20 gets you bragging rights.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 30, 2021 05:57PM

My two bonefish rods are very versatile in nature and get used for other stuff all the time, unfortunately neither is still produced, but I have some blanks still in inventory on the Rogue rod. Both are travel rod capable, in 2 or 3 piece. The Rogue blank is 7 ft. 2 pc, 4 power popping blank with an X Fast tip, much like the Lamiglas LP was, but a lower modulus, more durable material, I think I have a few blanks still. The other is one of my very favorite rods, a G Loomis GLX travel 3 pc. HS 9000 spinning rod. I figured if it could handle salmon, steelhead, and native Alaskan trout to 30 inches it could handle bones and I was right, works beautifully. It is not the only 6 to 12 lb line hotshot blank available, others make hotshot blanks and I believe NFC has that blank in one and 2 piece in different modulus materials.
I have no idea where you are going, but when I was in Miami in the 80's the bones in Biscayne Bay were some of the largest I was catching, better fish than the ones I got in the Bahamas, there was just more fish in the Bahamas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2021 06:08PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 30, 2021 06:52PM

I love bone fishing, but have not done much over the past dozen yrs or so. Hard to believe how strong they are for their size. Like Spencer I do like the the HS9000 Rods, the ones I have are made by MHX. They very nice blanks with a fast tip, and come in both a one piece and a two piece versions. I also think the ML Point Blanks would also be excellent bone fish rods, in either 7’ or 7’3”. These are fantastic blanks which are extremely light with a very fast action. They make very nice all around rods. Have fun!
Norm

Date: May 30, 2021 07:01PM

Thanks Spencer. I have a MHX version of the HS 9000. I hope to add a better one in the future. Fun and versatile blank. I also have 3 and 4 power rainshadow popping blanks, the older titanium chrome colored ones that I love. Some others like castaway and such too. Sadly I missed out on the Allstar, Rogue, and Shikari blanks.

You would be happy to see the improvement in water quality in Biscayne Bay. For the last 35 years I have worked at a place right on the bay by Crandon Park. One isn't accustomed to seeing the environment getting better these days!

I don't have plans to bonefish. More like my life has changed due to an accident/crime and I need to reconsider what I am capable of doing. Likely my blue water days are behind me and that is hard to come to terms with. I need to get over being depressed about my current state and find something I can do and have the means to make happen. That might amount to kayak and inshore.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: May 31, 2021 10:22AM

It is not uncommon to catch 10# bonefish in south Florida.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 02, 2021 01:57AM

In Hawaii we use all different types of rods for bonefish fishing. One of the more popular rods/blanks at the moment is the Bonecrusher. 13', Rated at 15-30lbs, 2-4oz lead, Medium Action
Perfect for playing with the Bonefish! A perfect match for your Torium 16 and 20! Double digit bonefish are the prize here in Hawaii.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster