I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel Blank Reel Seat Placement?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2021 04:27AM

Picked up a 7 piece fly blank that I am going to make into a UL spinning rod. Started playing around with it. Initially I thought I would get the grip on the first butt section. Not going work. So my plan is to do the fore grip and reel seat on the second section with the reel seat flush with the end of female section of the ferrule. Rear grip may or may not be a split grip undecided and obviously the male portion of the butt section ferrule will be exposed. I can't see any reasoning for not doing it this way. The female ferrule will be reinforced by a arbor and epoxy in a relatively unstressed area of the rod. Would wrapping the female ferrule with thread first be advised ? Anything I am not thinking about? Probably overthinking this but never done it before. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel Blank Reel Seat Placement?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2021 11:15AM

What length is the blank? If it's a nine ft. than a reel seat like a 20 mm Fuji NPS would be long enough that you may not need a foregrip, just a small butt. I have built many 9 1/2 and 10 ft. light powered steelhead rods that way.

Date: May 29, 2021 01:14PM

It is a 8 foot 3/4 weight. Want to keep it light plan to use a size 16 seat and carbon fiber grips. I want at least a three inch foregrip.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2021 03:02PM

Best to make sure that a size 16 seat won't be uncomfortable in your hand. You may like it, but many people find larger diameter seats more comfortable.

Given the line I suspect you'll be using, I doubt you'll have any issues setting the rod up the way you describe. If you wish to put a snug "A" thread wrap on the female ferrule and fit a seat arbor over that, you'll be fine. Although if your arbor or bushing fits snug, the thread wrap on such a rod isn't likely to be necessary.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 29, 2021 04:02PM

My 9 1/2 ft steelhead rods using a NFC HM blank are a bit over 4 1/2 oz. Just how much lighter does it have to be? That reel seat just isn't that heavy and if you don't have to add parts to finish it off so you can fish it, how much have you really lost? Gary's builds from before Edge Rods were the same using that reel seat.

Date: May 29, 2021 06:15PM

I run a size 16 on nearly all my UL have no issue with the size a size 20 is not quite a 1/4 inch larger which ain't a whole lot. Also have a reelseat insert for a skeleton seat I want to use on the rod. Running a 1000 series reel don't know how well a size 20 would even hold the reelfoot. If I need to get a real firm grip fighting a fish I can choke up onto the foregrip hence the desire for a larger foregrip. Also like to choke up on the rod when directing the fish to the net when I am netting fish by myself.

I am going to just go with an arbor and epoxy. Also did not think thread wrap was necessary.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 29, 2021 09:09PM

My 1000 reels and 4000 reels all have the same reel foot, they all fit a 20 just fine, brand hasn't seemed important. The same with casting reel feet though they come in different sizes.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 29, 2021 11:45PM

Michael,
Excuse me for being off-topic, but where did you find and what make and model is your 7-piece, 8ft fly blank? While there are many who consider a fly blank too sloppy for a spin rod, I would be all over it like flies on a meadow muffin!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 30, 2021 02:59AM

Mark sent you a email. This particular blank seems like a real good one for fly to spin not near as sloppy as a typical fly blank.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 30, 2021 07:42PM

I have no problem with size 16 seats.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 31, 2021 09:23AM

I don't use 16's on any spin rods. I quit after getting sore hands after a long day with one. Now I use 17's, not a lot bigger by the scale, but the difference is significant to comfort. No comfort problems with 17's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster