I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Thread Finish Measuring
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 26, 2021 01:15AM

As many of you have already tried, and I suggest newbies consider, I have been trying the majority of different thread finishes to discover which one appeals, works the best, for my own personal preferences. Funny thing is one of the most prevalent, Flex Coat, is one of the last I have tried. I have stated before that most of these finishes are variations on the same theme; the more different brands I try = the more that seems to be true; they all perform well for the job-at-hand, albeit (mostly) subtle differences.
I was impressed with the Flex Coat resin/hardener kit which included both syringes and stoppers = a big plus for ease of measuring. But the ID of the stoppers is larger than the point of the syringes. This obviously does not seal the syringe to the stopper = a big mess if turned upside-down as I am accustomed to with other stoppers and syringes. Am I missing something here? Did I receive mis-made stoppers? While the epoxy itself may work well, the supplied measuring system (at least what I received) would keep me from using it.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Thread Finish Measuring
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 26, 2021 09:00AM

Mark,

I too, have found the stoppers to be a less attractive of a method for the syringes. A method I found that seems to work well is to get the bottles with the tapered tops. I believe Flex Coat makes this kit. I then cut the tops at the point where the syringe fits snugly into the top. When I turn them upside down, I have no problem getting the amount of liquid I need into the syringe with very little, if any, leakage. The top also fits other bottles. This makes the arrangement interchangeable with other brands.

I've done similar tests, and found that Flex Coat, Threadmaster Lite, and U-40 LS Supreme work best for me, not necessarily in that order. I've also found that the process you use is one of the biggest factors in affecting the outcome.

My advice to newbies is to find a process that suits you, try different brands with the process, and draw your own conclusions.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2021 10:55AM

I just use the pumps.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2021 12:56PM

Mark

Sorry for the issue, the truth is that in the last year, supply chains have been strained and we normally use a different stopper that is self sealing and has a snug fit. There was a brief time where those weren't available and we went with another brand of stopper. I do apologize for the less than satisfactory results. We are and have been shipping with the best stopper again. Please email me your shipping and I will send you a new kit. flexcoat@gmail.com

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 26, 2021 02:48PM

Wow! That’s great customer service. No wonder Flex Coat is so popular. Great products and great service.
Norm

Date: May 26, 2021 03:15PM

Ed,
Thank you for the reply and confirmation I am not missing something. While trimming a “Yorker?” cap to fit the syringe may get one by, I have become spoiled with the self-sealing stoppers which work flawlessly.
Spencer,
Thank you for your input as well. I employ pumps for my structural epoxy dispensing (by weight) but personally find the syringes better adapted/suited to the small thread finish bottles and dispensing smaller volumes.
John,
A special thanks to you!!! You respond to many posts on this site which is testament to your interest in the industry in general and those of us within it in particular. This pathetic pandemic has caused many unforeseeable issues and apparently bottle stopper supply to you is one of them. Thank you for your honesty and taking the time for an explanation. I appreciate and accept your offer to replace my stoppers. At the risk of sounding rude, it does not surprise me = your customer service is always TOP NOTCH and you are to be commended. I will send you an email.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 26, 2021 04:55PM

Mark,

Sounds like John is going to get you taken care of, which is awesome.

I bought the Self-Sealing Bottle Cap Syringe inserts from MudHole. Been very happy with these for turning bottles upside down to measure my epoxy finish.

Here's the link: [www.mudhole.com]

I've only used Flex Coat High Build & Lite Build. Need to try some other options soon (ThreadMaster or Gen 4??).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2021 04:57PM by Robert Dittert III.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 26, 2021 06:39PM

Excellent service. Reliable products.

Date: May 27, 2021 12:11AM

Robert,
I have been purchasing self-sealing bottle stoppers for quite a while now simply because they work so well. Flex Coat is the first brand I have found which includes them with their epoxy kits = very nice indeed! Apparently and unfortunately, they experienced supplier restraints but have recognized and responded to it in admirable fashion; I wonder how many (doubt) other businesses would have responded so admirably!?!?!

Mark Talmo

Date: May 27, 2021 12:12AM

Lynn,
I will be the last to argue that point!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---)
Date: May 27, 2021 06:13PM

Never liked using syringes. I thought they were kind of messy and I didn’t like the glob of white stuff that was in them if I didn’t use them in a while. I’ve been using measuring spoons for almost 40 years with great results. Yeah I know I’m a dinosaur.

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: May 28, 2021 01:06AM

Its pumps for me ,its just too easy for me to change

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2021 08:37AM

Tim Shaffer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never liked using syringes. I thought they were
> kind of messy and I didn’t like the glob of
> white stuff that was in them if I didn’t use
> them in a while. I’ve been using measuring
> spoons for almost 40 years with great results.
> Yeah I know I’m a dinosaur.

Me, too. I've only ever used measuring spoons. I've never had a problem.

Posted by: David Luttig (---)
Date: May 28, 2021 10:27AM

Tim Shaffer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never liked using syringes. I thought they were
> kind of messy and I didn’t like the glob of
> white stuff that was in them if I didn’t use
> them in a while. I’ve been using measuring
> spoons for almost 40 years with great results.
> Yeah I know I’m a dinosaur.

Curious, how do you get all of the product out of the spoon? Just let it run out and that’s good? also what is the clean up method for the spoon?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 28, 2021 09:08PM

I used common aluminum kitchen measuring spoons for many years without any problem. Measure one part, scrape spoon with popsicle stick, repeat with 2nd part. I prefer syringes these days. If they start getting clogged suck up some acetone or DNA and shoot it through, I do mix small batches.

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---)
Date: May 31, 2021 11:02PM

I use a spatula to scrape it out of the spoon onto aluminum foil. Then wipe it off with a paper towel. Then do the same with the other part. I just use the paper towel to clean the spoon. No cleaner of any kind. No mess. I mix it right on the foil with the spatula. I don’t stir it. I mostly just like fold it over and spread it out and then fold it over for at least 2 minutes. Then wipe the metal spatula clean with a paper towel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster