I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Torzite guide weights?
Posted by: Eric Garza (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: May 18, 2021 02:59PM

I am deciding between SeaGuide titanium framed spinning guides with their silicon nitride (RSol) ring and Fuji's titanium-framed Torzites (also a silicon nitride ceramic, from what I understand). There is a big difference in price between these guides, even though others who have used both tell me they are very similar in terms of quality. I wonder if they weigh the same? The SeaGuide set is on its way, so I can weigh the guides on my jeweler's balance when they get here. I would rather not have to buy a set of Torzites just to weight them. Can anyone offer weights for each guide of the following guide train:

TKLTG-16H
TKLTG-6L
TKBTG-4.5J
TKTTG-4J
TKGTT-4-4

Any help folks can offer is greatly appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Torzite guide weights?
Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: May 18, 2021 05:53PM

Check this out: [www.kowafuji.com]

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: May 18, 2021 06:17PM

The below thread reveals the actual guide weights of many Titanium Torzite guides .

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 18, 2021 08:45PM

Ok gleaned from the links given by Michal and Chris, here are the weights of some commonly used Torzite KR spinning guides.
TKLTG25H - 2.92 gm
TKLTG2OH - 2.228 gm
TKLTG12H - 0.977 gm
TKLTG10H - 0.809 gm
TKLTG6L - 0.205 gm
TKLTG5.5M - 0.193 gm
TKBTG5 - 0.103 gm
TKBTG4 - 0.064 gm
TKTTG4 - 0.041 gm
This may serve as a reference for some interested folks. Sorry could not find any weight for the TKLTG16H or TKLTG8H, or the KG tip tops
If the SeaGuide titanium RS guides are lighter, it going to be due to the titatanium frame. If the titanium alloy used is the same for both than lighter frame will probably be less durable.
I guess you know that you are not doing a recommended KR concept build, by using a16H. 6L reduction train. That’s OK, and may work fine. I just assume you are doing this because you can’t get a SeaGuide TiXOG8H RS guide. SeaGuide just recently introduced an 8H this year, but Rod Builders Warehouse does not sell them yet.
Norm

Posted by: Eric Garza (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: May 18, 2021 09:21PM

Yes Norm, I am deliberately not doing a KR build. I prefer the ring diameters to reduce faster than Fuji's KR recommendations. I spent hours testing with the HLGs I got (which are great guides), and had no trouble reducing from 16 or 12 down to 6 or even 5 before transitioning to size 4 runners. For the high frame spinning guides I am only choosing the size 6 ring over size 5 for the couple extra mm of height the low-framed versions offer. I test casted both with mono and braid, and was able to get excellent distance either way.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 18, 2021 10:37PM

Eric,
Admittedly, my input does not directly answer your question. However, it may provide insight to the overall situation. To me, it seems attempting to measure such a minimal weight difference is similar to attempting to split hairs. By nature, many of us in the custom rod building world seek the absolute ultimate in every aspect of our builds; less weight in this case. We typically offer much superior rods to those commercially available. But we and our customers have to realize and establish a line, past which exhibits a point of diminishing returns. It is a completely different scenario building a rod for a particular customer who demands the best, most expensive components for his build rather than building a rod with the best, most expensive components and attempting to convince someone the additional price is worth it! I am known as a Fuji fan (for numerous reasons) but I also realize they are extremely proud of their titanium / Torsire offerings = higher cost than I am willing to pay. I have not used the SeaGuide brand yet, but they receive very high ratings from quite a few respected builders. While price and weight are certainly major governing factors in the ultimate choice, durability factors-in as well as Norman suggested. I am rarely persuaded away from the quality of Fuji, but the SeaGuides may be a viable option here.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: May 18, 2021 10:40PM

I have used both and will mostly be building using SeaGuide in future builds. Visually, I couldn’t sea a difference in quality. Both look great and are made out of high quality materials. Silicon nitride is an amazing material. A friend of mine has an aerospace bearing made from it that is over an inch in diameter. He has tried etching it with a wide variety of incredibly hard materials without success. Purity is important as inclusions can cause weak or soft spots. Both of these product lines appear to be made in China with modern tooling. I don’t know if it is possible for the consumer to determine if there is statistically a significant purity difference between the offerings of the two companies.

Arthur at SeaGuide is absolutely on it for customer service. The price point there is also great. I am not knocking the Fuji line as I really like their Torzite guides. Since the next build I am doing will be a Cagey Hook Spiral Wrap, the high frame TRVTG from Fuji won’t be helpful. This negates needing to spend extra for that exclusive design. I’d consider a mixed system by going with the Fuji Arowana tip top for the more exposed ring at the front, but they don’t make that in the smaller ring sizes.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: May 18, 2021 11:39PM

Building with the best components money can buy is much of the time just a process of satisfying ones mind , they know that being able to tell a difference between SIC , Torzite etc.. or a few grains of weight difference between frame materials or ceramic ring materials is going to be slim to none but choosing those components offers a serenity of the mind that they find worth it and I understand it . When I pay top dollar for the best blank I want the highest end components on it . If I can't afford what I really want then I'll wait and save until I could afford it .

I should have taken up bowling instead of rod building but I'm an atrocious bowler.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 19, 2021 08:58AM

The 2021 SeaGuide catalog does list the weight of their guides. If interested check it out at the SeaGuide sponsor link to the left.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 20, 2021 11:44AM

Eric,
I would speculate that a guide train made of appropriate sized Pac Bay minima guides compared to the same rod blank and reel seat built up with the Torzite guide seat - at least initially would have very comparable performance.

Over the long haul - it could be a different story.

Remember, when casting an excellent guide trail will essentially mean that the line almost does not touch any guides. i.e. the line will simply flow smoothly through the air - with no friction rubbing of line rubbing on a guide. Thus, if the guide train is sized right - the line barely touches any guide and thus the guide per say - simply has little effect on casting distance.

Long term durability and fish catching performance on the other hand does depend on the guide materials.

Best wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster