I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sourcing blanks for production
Posted by: Stephen White (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2021 01:06PM

Really perplexed by some low prices of small batch rod companies. Are they using cheap import blanks and is this OK?

These are companies that, when reviewing press write-ups, operate from small shops or garages with one-four people hand building out lines of fg and carbon rods and the prices are often starting at under $200 retail with case. I get how really large companies working on economies of scale, having factories in really cheap labor markets and having everything automated to the hilt can do this but how would a little outfit with a couple employees do such a thing without the blank (and everything else) being really cheap?

The 2nd thing I worry about is basically buying a couple dozen "brand" blanks for say $75 that is really just a $10 Chinese blank that has been marked up a few times in the supply chain to be sold one at a time to end users..

Am I wrong to try and buy from the main rod building suppliers for small batch production?

edit:

After re-reading my original post above I realize I came across as saying overseas blanks and Chinese blanks in particular are low quality and that's not fair. A blank bought in bulk at $15-20 and ultimately selling for $75-80 on a retail site is perfectly normal and the blank might well be very high quality. I should not have implied otherwise.

Roger is dead on that businesses have to make the best choices based on their business model. Very poorly worded post, sorry.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2022 11:00AM by Stephen White.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sourcing blanks for production
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 13, 2021 02:27PM

Stephen,
You have raised a bunch of great points.

The wonderful thing about running a business, is that you can do anything that you wish and no one will tell you that you are either right or wrong.

But, I suspect that you are right about small shops providing "inexpensive rod blanks".

There are significant costs and update with respect to actual manufacturing of fishing rod blanks.

So, it is entirely possible that some suppliers are buying blanks in "bulk" for a supplier and are simply reselling them. "Source unknown, on the actual blanks themselves".

Best wishes

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: May 13, 2021 04:33PM

Stephen

I sympathize with your concerns the only advice I can offer is to rely on established blank manufacturers, forums and customer loyalty.

Many many years ago a vendor gave me his business card and on the back it stated

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

. I keep it as a reminder when making special purchases.

Have fun

John

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: May 13, 2021 06:58PM

Stephen White Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am I wrong to try and buy from the main rod
> building suppliers for small batch production?

Of course you aren't wrong , if you want quality then that's who you need to do business with . I have found CTS to be the most willing to do this type of thing , they're the only manufacturer that was willing to build me surf rod blanks to my personal specifications albeit I only ordered two at a time because they were for me not to sell to anybody else but they will build as many blanks as you want and the quality is superb.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: May 14, 2021 09:29AM

Stephen,

If you need blanks for small batch production I can help... wether it is something we already produce or a private label ....it's what I do.

God Bless.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster