I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod building newbie
Posted by: Amber Davis (---)
Date: May 09, 2021 06:58PM

I am just staring out and can use all the help I can get

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod building newbie
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2021 08:17PM

I would suggest taking a look at the various free features of this website - the FAQs page, the Glossary and the Library for starters.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: May 09, 2021 10:08PM

What kinds of rods?
Herb

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 09, 2021 10:19PM

Amber,
Welcome to the addiction and to rod building.org! You (anyone) would be hard-pressed to find an(y)other source with such valuable information from veterans and newbies alike willing to share their knowledge and experiences which will ultimately flatten your learning curve immensely. The abundance of information comes with an equally abundance of opinions; it is up to each individual to digest, decipher and decide on their own approach to issues concerning rod building. All one has to do is simply ask; nothing ventured = nothing gained! But try to narrow-down your questions to receive the most appropriate, concise answers. Are you seeking component suggestions? Build-procedure suggestions? Equipment suggestions?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: mike lepori (216.115.8.---)
Date: May 10, 2021 07:11AM

Hi Amber,
I am a newbie myself and still have a ton to learn. I have built 4 rods now and just recently found this site. I wish I would have found this prior to my rod builds. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube and mudhole videos when I started my first rod. I thought I was good to go and was going to take it slow so I wouldn't mess up, but that didn't work out so well. I have learned a lot from the mistakes I have made, it has cost me some money for those mistakes also. This site looks like a wealth of knowledge and once I start my next build I will be asking some question of people on here I'm sure.
I know that watching different videos online, reading articles and looking at forums have really helped me so far. I haven't gotten hung up on just watching one channel on YouTube, I watch a lot of different channels and see what works for me and what makes more sense. Practice wrapping on a dowel before doing a rod, it helped me a lot. One thing that I wish I would have read before, the rod kits you buy that comes with everything you need....I should have tossed the rubber winding checks. The ones that came with mine were folded up somewhat and I figured that when I put them on the rod they would flatten out. NOPE, my first rod I am still unhappy with because of that. Maybe others on here know something I should have done different, and I'm all ears, but now I just order the aluminum or hard nylon and the finish is so much better.
Hope you have a less costly start than I did. Good luck and have fun.

Mike

Posted by: Amber Davis (---)
Date: May 10, 2021 08:56AM

Do people wrap the whole rod?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2021 09:53AM

Amber Davis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do people wrap the whole rod?

Not if they're interested in good performance. Wrapping the entire rod blank only adds weight which slows rod speed (reaction and recovery). I have seen it done on some HD boats rods in the hopes of offering some protection to the rod, but those rods are heavy and stout enough not to need that sort of protection to begin with.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2021 02:45PM

Here is a link to our Youtube Channel. Short, high definition, informative videos that will get you going.

[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: May 10, 2021 06:46PM

Amber
Also take note of the list of sponsers to the left of the forum page. These suppliers / dealers keep this website up and running. Most of them also offer instructions and videos
and help you with answers to your questions. I am a "hobby" builder and just started my 51st rod. The first several were pretty rough but the more you build the nicer they get!
Rog

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 10, 2021 07:55PM

The Flex-Coat videos are excellent. Also viewing previous posts here for say the past year or so will address many questions you may have. It's a great site, but if you dig a little it becomes even greater.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2021 08:03PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 11, 2021 12:24PM

This web site is the best out there , do your reading an remember that the only dumb question that is out there is the one you don't ask , most if not all of us have been in your shoes , glad to have you on board

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster