I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are rubberized/burl cork grip extremities only for decoration?
Posted by: Luc siat (---.se.customer.tele2.net)
Date: May 09, 2021 03:54AM

Hey!

I am currently building a 1/8-3/8oz rod 7'2" for perch and I am trying to achieve somewhat of a light build.
(micro guides + 5.6oz ci4 stradic 1000 + 1.9oz rainshadow blank)

My question is: Apart from the rubberized cork butt end, is there a real durability benefit in adding burl/rubberized cork accent on the grips or is it purely cosmetic?
Looked everywhere for the information could not find it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are rubberized/burl cork grip extremities only for decoration?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 09, 2021 07:40AM

I use it often, always on the butt knob of my split grip builds. A 1/4 inch ring will not affect weight significantly and it is a lot tougher than plain cork. Necessary? Probably not. But it looks good and has to provide a measure of assurance that the rod is not fragile. It depends also on how a rod will be used and treated. I'm pretty easy on mine compared to what I've seen.

Date: May 09, 2021 08:13AM

Hey Michael,

I plan to have rubberized cork on the end of the butt grip, for the same reasons you mentioned.
I was mostly wondering for burl/rubber cork on the extremities of split grip/front grips like what can be seen on the G.loomis dropshot rods for example. Any thoughts on that?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 09, 2021 09:53AM

Luc,
I almost always use a 1/2 inch rubberized cork at the butt end of the rod and a 1/4 inch wide cork at the top end of the grip. Tough and makes a nice contrast on the grip.

If you like, you can use rubberized cork for the entire grip - but it will be HEAVY.

The rubber glue that holds rubberized cork together is pretty heavy.

Best wishes

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2021 11:06AM

You can always core a grip - rubberized, composite or wood, with a rigid urethane foam core to reduce the weight by up to 70%. Good custom rod builders should have as many tricks up their sleeves as possible.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: May 09, 2021 12:06PM

Not needed, just eye candy.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 09, 2021 03:11PM

Luc,
As the other replies correctly state, rubberized (or burnt?) cork is not really needed but tougher than plain, regular cork and is heavier. I use the rubberized cork tape covered with X-flock shrink tubing for many of my saltwater builds because it is so durable, quick and easy to repair/replace and weight is not as much of a concern. While I do employ rubberized cork “trim” on freshwater builds from time to time, I am not a huge fan in favor of plain ‘ol regular cork. For protection of a plain cork butt, I like the “butt plugs” or a short length of clear shrink tubing.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 10, 2021 05:53AM

Thank you for your answers,

My original plan was plain cork for the grip (split) with part of the butt being rubberized and each end of the split and front grip being burl cork.
But it will be heavier than a plain cork with a rubberized butt.
So if it serves no purpose apart from decoration I thought it might not be useful, hence my question.

Luc

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 10, 2021 07:26AM

Luc, speaking specifically for the ends of the cork components other than the butt knob, I have done it both ways and have had no problems with chipping or anything else with plain cork.. But I don't use rod holders. That might make a difference. Making the decision based on weight is, in my opinion, a wasted worry. The difference will be insignificant for just a couple 1/4 inch rings, which is what I use.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 10, 2021 08:22AM

Luc,
Another place where I will use rubberized cork is when building a grip and reel seat that due to design, the cork ends up being very thin.

Rubberized cork is really really tough. As a result, if doing a grip design, where the finished product results in some areas of very thin material, rubberized cork is the perfect material.

Very very tough, and very very durable. Because the area is thin - weight is not an issue.

Examples of rubberized cork as trim:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 10, 2021 10:08AM

If you like the looks of it, use it. There really is no down side either way. Personally I like the look of the rubberized or burl cork used as a trim. Go with what you like. After all it is your rod.
Norm

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---)
Date: May 10, 2021 02:34PM

Cork and rubber gasket sheet can make nice trim rings that compliment burl or rubbized cork:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2021 02:50PM by Ladd Flock.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2021 02:36PM

If weight is an issue, there is absolutely no reason that you cannot make a grip from rubberized/composite cork, or even wood, as light or lighter than regular cork. Here's how: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: May 11, 2021 01:03PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If weight is an issue, there is absolutely no
> reason that you cannot make a grip from
> rubberized/composite cork, or even wood, as light
> or lighter than regular cork. Here's how:
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
>
>
> .......

That is amazing! If only i had known for my first rod. For this one it won't work as the burl will be used as trim and will be only 8-11 mm. As the weight difference will be extremely minimal I'll settle with 3 small burl trims on the cork grip. Thank you all for your help!

It is very difficult to draw the line between making a rod light and overkilling it (my question on forhan wrap being too heavy for example haha)

Luc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster