I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G Loomis IGFA
Posted by: Alex price (---.19-3.cable.virginm.net)
Date: May 08, 2021 02:39PM

Hi all I am a rod builder from the UK I have been asked to build four tuna rods using some G Loomis IGFA blanks part number 6880 and 6850 w. I think the blanks were purchased some years ago.
I have never built tuna rods before so this is new to me so I am after some advice on guide spacing and blank lengths please. The 50 to 80lb class will have straight butt's I was thinking a total length of 6ft to 6.5ft
The other blanks 80 to 130lb will be bent butt this is what I am not to sure about haw long should I make the blank with a long bent butt.
Any help or direction will be great thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G Loomis IGFA
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2021 03:04PM

G. Loomis, Inc. built and offered some fantastic IGFA glass blanks in the late 80's through early 90's. The butt area was straight/non-tapered so any trimming wouldn't upset the built-in fit to the appropriate Aftco Uni-Butt. Now keep in mind that these are "chair" rods and not meant for stand-up style fishing. The length needs to be sufficient to clear the line across the stern gunnel when fighting a fish. I don't think I ever trimmed more than perhaps 2 inches off any of these.

It might be worth your while to ask your client a few more questions about how he'll be fishing these rods.

Date: May 09, 2021 11:15AM

I see what you mean the lighter blank had 8.5 inch parallel section. The other one is 1.5 inch.
He was given the blanks and just plan's to use them anyway I know this customer well and he hasn't got a chair this may well change soon.
So the blanks are 5ft 8inch long and the bent butt length is 26.5 inch measured in a straight line this makes 94.5 inch assuming nothing get cut off the butt end. Would that be correct for a chair rod?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2021 06:58PM

Depends on how far away the stern gunnel is. They will most likely be okay. But one thing is for sure - these are NOT stand up style rod blanks.

Date: May 10, 2021 02:43PM

OK thanks for your help I will see what my customer wants to do.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (50.106.20.---)
Date: May 23, 2021 12:57PM

Alex -

Take a look at the NFC (Current Gary Loomis) IGFA series:

[northforkcomposites.com]

Since you are in the UK - you will need to get them from Rodhouse.fr

Thanks,
Aleks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster