I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral roller top help.
Posted by: Drew Smith (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 08, 2021 11:57AM

Last year I built a really nice #50 stand up tuna and halibut rod on a glass Calstar blank with a spiral wrap topped off with a nep_tune roller spiral top. I paired it with an Avet SX reel spooled with #50 Jerry Brown braid.

So, here is the issue. Last year on a trip my line once got stuck between the roller and the frame of the guide. It popped right out when I pulled on it, so I didn't think much about it. Now, out on a halibut trip the other day, and this happened every few minutes, which I contribute to being pretty windy that day. And, yes, the mounting post/bolt is tight.

So what can I do to fix this? Is this normal? Is there a shim that I can use to keep the line out of the very small gap? I really do not want to switch to a thicker diameter line, as the thinner line allows a more vertical presentation (and less tangles with other rods).

Any advice is much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2021 11:59AM by Drew Smith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral roller top help.
Posted by: Grant Darby (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: May 08, 2021 03:23PM

You may have to change out your roller top. Depending on age, a lot of rollers were not designed for thin braid. We switch them to Alps and end the problem. Not sure about spiral tips. I'd check with All American first

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 08, 2021 03:58PM

Drew,
It is my understanding the All American Roller Guides, Nep_tune series, are THE ONLY rollers specifically designed for spiral wrapped guides. The roller fits into a formed recess of the side frames to avoid the line from jumping off the roller and into the gap between the roller and frame. I have built two tuna rods sporting complete sets of the Nep_tune guides and have never experienced the line (50lb Power Pro) jumping off the roller and into the gap. I suggest you contact the owners, Steve or Lori, 714-505-3177; they are very approachable, accommodating, knowledgeable, helpful and just plain extremely nice.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: May 08, 2021 08:35PM

I built a spiral for deep drop fishing i used a all American roller top and i had the line do the same get caught between roller and frame i too use braid 60 pound I'm thinking of putting a regular tip back on..

Date: May 09, 2021 03:24PM

Drew,
Well there you have it: David has experienced the same thing. While it is very surprising for me to learn, I would still, if not certainly, call Stere or Lori.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Joseph Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 11, 2021 01:15PM

I don't do spiral wrapped rods so take this for what it is worth (.02) but it seems to me that a roller top on a spiral wrapped rod would present problems.....especially with braid.

Date: May 11, 2021 02:52PM

Drew,
Did you resolve your issue? We haven’t heard from you since the initial post.
Joseph,
A conventional roller top designed to be on top of the rod = yes; the AA guides are designed to be mounted on the bottom of the rod = no.

Date: May 11, 2021 08:10PM

i thought about the day my line got caught and snapped the boat was drifting to the stern and my line was heading to the bow i had well over 1000 feet of line out and the line was not centered on the roller. I just checked the clearance on the side of roller to frame with a set of feeler gauges and it was (.010 ) need to check the braid diameter ?

Posted by: Drew Smith (65.158.200.---)
Date: May 12, 2021 08:22AM

I have reached out to All American and a new top will be sent. This was the first that they had heard of a problem such as this. I'll update when fixed.

Date: May 12, 2021 08:05PM

I checked power pro diameter 50lbs (.014) 60lbs is (.016) and i had (.010 ) at least on the side of the roller.

Posted by: Arthur Amaral (---)
Date: May 16, 2021 11:31AM

David, thank you for taking measurements of the roller gap and comparing line diameters to this. I was just thinking about my next build and was curious as to the quality and of the roller itself is recessed or not. Much appreciated!please keep us posted and kudos to All American for the customer support.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster