I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sizing for AFTCO Roller Tip
Posted by: Dan Sawyer (204.111.207.---)
Date: May 07, 2021 10:18AM

Howdy, folks!

When sizing for an AFTCO roller tip guide, how far down the tip of the blank should you take your measurement? Since the tubes are so long on these guides I didn't know if their measurement reflected the size closer to the tip or farther down the tube. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sizing for AFTCO Roller Tip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2021 11:38AM

The odd thing about nearly all roller tops is that they're tapered and tapered vastly different than the tips of most rod blanks. Typically I'll measure about an inch back and use that to order the top. From there you're going to find that the top won't fully seat on the blank unless you grind/taper the first half inch or so of the blank tip. This is a pretty standard practice, although I've never liked to grind any blank tip, even the thick offshore blank types. So, you can always measure an inch back, and then order the next larger size top. This will generally get you fully seated on the blank tip but then you'll have a slight gap at the opening of the roller top. I make my trim wrap extend enough so that it will fall under the roller top opening and take up that slight gap once the top is epoxied on. Either way works, but the latter is the method I've used most often.

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: May 07, 2021 05:43PM

Ordered these to fit all the way down the blank. Then built up the tip with1/8" wide masking tape about 1/8" inch back from the tip end so as to center the roller guide on the blank. Otherwise the roller tip will cant and look awful when viewed from the side of the rod. Attach with a generous layer of your favorite epoxy.

The blue tape is to keep epoxy off of the blank when it squeezes out.

Offshore Roller tip/blue water rods receive a lot of pressure on the tip. I do not like reducing the diameter of the blank to fit the roller guide. Just a light scuffing of the surface of the blank for a good epoxy bond.

80 pound class blank.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2021 08:22PM

That's another good way to do it. But I would recommend a thread wrap instead of masking tape for the forward filler.

Posted by: Dan Sawyer (204.111.207.---)
Date: May 10, 2021 10:32AM

Thank you very much for the info, just what I needed to know!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster