I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

clicking guides
Posted by: gary (---.reshall.umich.edu)
Date: November 27, 2001 08:30AM

A few years back I build a 7 wt fly rod with single foot guides as a back up rod for steelhead. I took it out last week and noticed that some of the guides click. If I grab them and wiggle them you can hear them click. The problem is in where the foot meets the blank. What to do to tighten them short of rewrapping?
Or is this something that I could leave alone and not worry too much about. It's not like I've got a ton of money in the rod. In fact I think the grip and guides cost more that the blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: clicking guides
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 27, 2001 06:08PM

Great time to practice wrapping techniques. I would rewrap and practice the locking wrap, plus a great rod to "try" new things on. Colors, inlays, wraps etc.... If not much invested, then have fun with it. Try new stuff, create, this is how "custom" became a word. If you are against rewrapping, then try takeing finish and "dropping" in the tunnel that the foot sets in. Let it fill the gaps so to speak. I have heard superglue works, but never tried it and would worry about the inflexibility of it would cause cracking of the glue in the future.
Elrod

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2001 09:17PM

I think that clicking is just the finish that has popped loose from the blank clicking when you apply pressure. It's no big deal and I wouldn't bother to rewrap anything unless the guides actually became loose.

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 01:28AM

It sounds like the finish has cristalized and breaking away from the blank. Who is to say when the guides well break lose. I my self take pride in my work so I would rewrap. Whats one or two days with out your favorite rod. You may have a record fish on when you lose that guide. A lost guide can cause a rod to fail

Posted by: Lincoln Parmer (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 06:52AM

Gary. sounds to me like rewrapping is in order. And when you do it, wwrap a short 4or5 thread trim band separately in front of the guide. This can be any color (I like to use a contrasting color or my trim color)Also make sure you have finish on the sides of the guides in the tunnels. Another method I have found that works is the Gianinni method of guide wrapping. Put a basewrap down of 000 silk or A thread. Color preserve it or not, then finsh. Then come back and wrap your guide on the underwrap. I suggest you use a very low build finish(example Crystal Coat) and wick off all the excess. So you still see the threads. This helps lock guides in, Make this underwrap a little longer, it gives you a good base to wrap the guide on. I have built a one weight flyrod from East Branch, and these rods are very delicate. Just seems to be a more substantial base to wrap a guide on. Given the stresses of the blank in Steelheadding this would be a very viable option. A couple years ago Loomis reccommended underwrapping the top 30" of their GLX's. Problem was the guide feet were penetrating the blank under heavy stress( like in steelheaddin). The blanks are so thin that when a blank comes into full load, the foot pierces the blank. Big problem. The Gianinni method of finishing will help alleviate this problem. Extra weight if that is an issue is very little, and overall, will aid the blanks overall mechanics. The Roundman

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 02:11PM

On the Loomis thing - it wasn't that guides were simply causing damage to the blank, it was because Loomis could not control those who were building the rods and how they might prepare their guides (notice the factory Loomis GLX rods did not have the underwrap). Thus in effort to stave off many broken rods due to burrs or non-flat feet, they suggested/required underwraps. Good rod builders who properly prep their guide feet will have no trouble on the GLX going without underwraps under any and all circumstances.

Everyone has their own method and I am not out to change anyone's way of doing things. I personally have not used underwraps in many years (other than on offshore trolling rods) and have found my rods to be lighter, more responsive and quicker to react. Underwraps undermine rod efficiency more than you might suspect. Obviously, if you need them - use them. But if you guides are properly prepped, you can get by without them and not worry about blank damage.

The clicking you hear is likely the movement between guide/finish and blank. Rarely do guides that make this noise suddenly come loose or fall out. If your twisting does not reveal any real movement, you are okay. If your piece of mind requires a rewrap, then do it.

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: November 28, 2001 06:59PM

I have to agree with Tom. Lomis did advise underwraps on fly rods as I built a couple of 4 piece and the warranty card specifically stated the end section had to be underwrapped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster