I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo rod passed the test
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: May 05, 2021 07:09AM

Earlier I posted that I picked up a Kingfisher bamboo rod at a flea market. Last night I finally got to test it out. First cast, 12" rainbow! It casts pretty good considering the components are older than I am. I only fished about an hour and my arm got much more tired than with my graphite fly rods. I think this will be a great rod for fishing dries, I dont think it will be my go to nymphing rod because of the weight. A refurb should be fun on this one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo rod passed the test
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 05, 2021 02:52PM

Ken,
Thank you for the update on the Kingfisher. It sounds like you had productive fun; there is just something special about experiencing a vintage rod beyond recognizing and appreciating how good we have it today with modern advancements in rod construction, CF in particular. I enjoy and actually prefer my vintage FG Conolons compared to my stable of store-bought CF rods even though many others might consider them “sloppy”.
When you get around to refurbishing the rod, take the “minimalist” approach with the lightest guides, shortest thread wraps and minimal finish both on the blank and wraps to shave-off as much weight as possible. Even so, you may still need Bengay for your shoulder lol!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 06, 2021 07:33AM

The rod was much better than I thought, but yea, the weight..oof! You really dont notice it until you cast it a couple times then you really notice it. I will definitely be taking the minimalist approach on the rod. Now, to find a nice 7' 6" 3wt boo rod. From what I have read, those are the hardest to find. I've seen them on @#$%& but too much $$ for something you cant test out.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 06, 2021 09:23AM

Yes, the shorter bamboo rods are what most people want. They are much lighter, fun to fish, and cast surprisingly well. Some of the reasons they demand a higher price than the longer and heavier vintage bamboo rods. I really enjoy the ones I have.
Norm

Date: May 06, 2021 04:54PM

Norman,
Do you find the bamboo rods to be as “sloppy” feeling as FG?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 06, 2021 05:31PM

No.
Norm

Date: May 07, 2021 12:31AM

Norman,
Thank you for your honest, trusted and veteran reply. I am admittedly surprised to learn the bamboo would feel less “sloppy” than FG. Apparently, archaic natural fibers such as bamboo are a hard act to follow!!! Considering the “sloppiness” aspect, I would have guessed bamboo to be at the bottom with FG in the middle and CF at the top; so much for guessing!!! Thanks again, Norman.

Mark Talmo

Date: May 07, 2021 11:12AM

The bamboo rods I have are a moderate fast taper, and load and cast well without a sloppy feeling. A little slower stroke is required but you get use to it quickly. Fiberglass fly rods also don’t feel sloppy to me, the ones I’ve used over the years loaded and casted quite well. However, these rods are being used as fly rods not spinning rods. Most Fly rod blanks feel sloppy to me when they are used to make spinning rods. I don’t even like graphite fly rod blanks when made into spinning rods, most have a slower action than I prefer for a spinning or casting rod. It is a different ball game, With a spinning rod you are casting a lure, and with a fly rod you are casting a line with the fly following. Different physics requiring different techniques, but that is just my opinion based on personal preferences. Many will say a weight is a weight, but to me it’s how a rod feels and performs handling that weight.
Mark, I hope this clarifies things for you.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 07, 2021 12:59PM

Many a flycaster has badmouthed a fly rod, only to change his tune when he tried it with an up weighted [or down weighted] line. It's a poor workman who blames his tools, and a poor fly caster who blames his rod without trying alternative lines.

Date: May 07, 2021 03:12PM

Norman,
Thanks for the clarification; a FG rod feels sloppy if intended to be a fly rod but built as a spinning rod = that makes sense. Nonetheless, I still do it but maybe I am a bit slow lol.

Mark Talmo

Date: May 07, 2021 05:32PM

Mark, no it’s all about what you like, some people really like a spinning rod that flexes well into the blank, I don’t. I prefer fast to extra fast spinning and casting rods. Different strokes for different folks.
Phil, you are absolutely correct, matching the fly line to the fly rod is very important and makes a big difference in how the fly rod will perform.
Norm

Date: May 13, 2021 09:20AM

Looks like I should have stopped at one trip with the bamboo. Yesterday I went to the stream, put together the rod, went to pull the line through the guides and SNAP! The top section broke right at the ferrule. So it looks like I will be doing a repair and a refurb on this one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster