I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji MN tip top
Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.cpe.net.fido.ca)
Date: May 04, 2021 10:01PM

Hi everyone, anyone have any ideas on how to tie this tip top on. The step is very high. Was thing of wrapping a thread underneath. Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji MN tip top
Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: May 05, 2021 12:23AM

Approach it the same way as you would a single foot guide . Start the wrap very close to the end of the protruding metal piece and end it where the metal piece meets the main section of the tip top . They key is figuring out a way to support that part of the end of the blank which many have come up with their own solutions .

Some end up snipping that piece of metal off but most wrap it. That piece isn't necessary but many like to wrap it to match the thread they used on all the other guides , I think it makes the rod look more finished myself.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 05, 2021 01:20AM

Gabriele,
At the risk of sounding rude, your actual question may have been lost in the translation; “anyone have any ideas on how to tie this tip top on.”?? “The step is very high.”?? Was thing of wrapping a thread underneath.”?? Please do not take offence, but I am a bit confused as to what your actual question is. Apparently, chris is equally confused; why would anyone purchase a MN tip top and then cut the tang off when other “tangless” tip tops are readily available?
Please restate your question to receive more replies.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 05, 2021 02:32AM

Gabriele , you don't need to restate your question , I think you're asking how to wrap that type of tip top if I'm incorrect please say so. Mark I'm not confused , when I said some cut that piece off metal off I didn't mean it's what everybody does or it's preferable I meant that it's not uncommon for builders especially newbies who have trouble wrapping that type of top to end up snipping that small strip of metal off instead of needing to order a different type of tip top . People who have removed it are still perfectly fine without it and it doesn't ruin the tip top .

If Gabriele can't find a way to wrap it to his satisfaction then he shouldn't worry about it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 05, 2021 07:34AM

One can often make a step to a component, like a tiptop or a conventional ferrule, less of a step by applying a drop of epoxy or varnish at the step, carefully arranging it to form a ramp.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 05, 2021 11:04AM

Glue the tip top in place with hot melt cement, just like any other tip-top. Then wrap over the tang to secure it in place, just like a guide foot. If you don’t like the tang cut it off. Wrapping over the tang just gives a little extra security against the tip top coming loose, but it does make replacements slightly more difficult. Wrapping the tang is not that difficult, it is thin enough so your thread should easily climb over the toe. No more difficult than doing a trim wrap behind a regular tip top.
Norm

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---)
Date: May 05, 2021 01:14PM

I agree with Norman. His instructions are spot on. The only thing I might add is that I like this guide better, as r it is a tangle resistant guide - ICMNST

Tight lines nad frisky fish.

RJF

Posted by: gabriele schieda (199.212.27.---)
Date: May 05, 2021 02:08PM

I didn't purchase this guide I got a few off some friend that got them from a Rapala Concept Ti. I usually wrap float fishing rods, not a newbie. Just trying to see if anyone has any good transition ideas. I am building a bass rod for the first time, 90% I use guide tops on float rods

Posted by: gabriele schieda (199.212.27.---)
Date: May 05, 2021 02:15PM

Thanks for all the answers I guess I am being to picky

Date: May 05, 2021 02:21PM

Sounds like the MN tube size is too large for the rod rod tip you have. If that’s the case you can build up the diameter of the rod tip with a thread wrap. Then glue on the tip top and wrap the tang. Otherwise get a tip top that fits, and save the MN tip top for another build. The second option is what I would do.
Norm

Date: May 05, 2021 03:15PM

Gabriele and chris,
Sorry if I am a little slow. If the original question was how to wrap a MN tip top, then simply treat the tang of the MN like a guide foot and wrap over it. I find it difficult to believe people cut off the tang because it is an extension of the leg braces and NOT AFFIXED to the tube = the leg braces would be almost worthless. Wrapping the tang is the only support for the leg braces.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 05, 2021 03:54PM

The leg braces are attached to the upper ring frame not at the very bottom . After removing that small extended piece the guide is still super super strong , is it the recommended thing to do ? No, but it's not absolutely necessary either and can be removed with no ill effects for people who feel the need to do so. The more downward pressure the tip top receives the more that unattached piece pushes against the entire frame solidifying itself. Remember, it's NOT recommended and I would bet over 99% wrap it as it's supposed to be wrapped but for that 1% it's not catastrophic either.

Date: May 05, 2021 04:07PM

chris,
Acknowledged; I will conform with the 99%.

Mark Talmo

Date: May 05, 2021 05:13PM

Mark, I also would never cut the tang off, but some people do for reasons I don’t understand. Since I wouldn’t do I shouldn’t have mentioned it at all. I wasn’t thinking, wrapping the tang is no big deal..
Norm

Date: May 05, 2021 06:58PM

I thought I understood what Gabriele was asking about but after his responses I still can't figure what he's having trouble with . Is it wrapping that extended piece or is the tube too large and he needs to find a way too build up the tip so the guide tube can fit better ? I'm against building up the tip I would much prefer to order the correct tip top size but I know others have built that part of the blank tip top up to fit a larger tube size.

To Gabriele , if you didn't get the answer you were hoping for it's because none of us know exactly what the problem is because your comment below is somewhat confusing .

" Just trying to see if anyone has any good transition ideas"

What transition exactly are you referring to ? Transitioning from the blank to the tip tops extended tang ?

Posted by: gabriele schieda (209.171.88.---)
Date: May 05, 2021 08:51PM

Did u look at that guide

Date: May 05, 2021 09:07PM

I think we have all used the MN tip top and are quite familiar with them. I assume this is the tip top to which you are referring.
[www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Date: May 06, 2021 12:13AM

The MN is a great guide for its intended purposes!!! < or > = other Fuji options.

Mark Talmo

Date: May 06, 2021 01:14AM

I agree, I use the Titanium Torzite (TMNTT-F) on every surf rod I build .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster