I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Roller top
Posted by: Gary Dunkum (---)
Date: May 03, 2021 04:15PM

What glue does everyone use to glue a roller top ? Thanks !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roller top
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: May 03, 2021 04:42PM

OH BOY!

I use 2 part 30 minute epoxy.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Paul Darby (---)
Date: May 03, 2021 07:08PM

I suggest , the question as in, What types of adhesive has any one witnessed a failure of, on roller tips?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 03, 2021 08:15PM

hot melt tip adhesive has failed on some roller tips.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 04, 2021 01:19AM

Gary,
I am surprised to learn proper hot-melt tip top adhesive has reportedly failed, even for heavy-duty rollers. Even under extreme conditions, it is not like the tip top is subjected to, say, 20lb of force trying to pull it directly off the tip of the rod. I will stick with tip top adhesive to facilitate replacement if required down the road and readjust my perspective if and when I ever encounter a failure.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: May 04, 2021 07:12AM

So i don't want to use 5 minute epoxy or u40 rodbond ?

Date: May 04, 2021 07:15AM

what about 5min epoxy or U40 rod bond ?

Posted by: Ron Schneider (194.5.213.---)
Date: May 04, 2021 08:36AM

We have used the "quick-cure"(5 minute) epoxy on heavy rods tip tops (only) and it will release with cautious heat.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 04, 2021 08:53AM

Hot-melt tip adhesives - even old timey stick-shellac - has faithfully anchored broadheads to arrow shafts for untold years, and broadheads are subject to much more stress than tip-tops. Thoroughly cleaning the two surfaces to be mated is the key to success.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 04, 2021 08:53AM

Hot-melt tip adhesives - even old timey stick-shellac - has faithfully anchored broadheads to arrow shafts for untold years, and broadheads are subject to much more stress than tip-tops. Thoroughly cleaning the two surfaces to be mated is the key to success.

Date: May 04, 2021 09:39AM

Any adhesive will bond a tip on to a blank.The number of formulations classified as "adhesives" is staggering, BUT of all the adhesives available the 2 part epoxies or the hot melt glue seem to be the rod builders choice for bonding tips to blanks.

Remember, surface preparation is the most important factor for a successful application.

Have Fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2021 09:40AM by John DeMartini.

Date: May 04, 2021 11:08AM

Thanks everyone

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 04, 2021 07:15PM

My number one reason to not use epoxy is removal issues. If you have quality roller guide it shouldn't break and should be able to be rebuilt. Plus the rod tip would be larger. 5 Minute epoxy offers a compromise between enough strength and ability to remove.

Roller tip guides are used on heavy class blue water rods. They stand up a lot father from the blank and can see considerable twisting forces do to longer lever arm.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: May 04, 2021 09:35PM

My number one reason for using epoxy because it affords the strongest bond.

Yes, epoxy makes tip removal difficult, but that is a future event that may or may never happen, if it does then with some extra care and patience the tip can be removed and replaced.

I am willing to risk some extra work and patience in the future for ease of installation and optimum bond strength in the present.

I have no issue with using hot melt glue, it has been proven to be a very reliable installation, but I prefer to go another route.

Have fun

John

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2021 05:40PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Roller tip guides are used on heavy class blue
> water rods. They stand up a lot father from the
> blank and can see considerable twisting forces do
> to longer lever arm.

There is an answer. Building two deep drop rods for halibut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2021 05:41PM by John Ricks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster