I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cerecoil on Bluewater Rod
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 03, 2021 04:04PM

What do you think about REC Cerecoil guides on a light offshore casting rod (conventional reel) for fish up to 100 #s? I really don't care about the price and know there are cheaper alternatives but I don't build cheap and want something that is different and will function very good. Has anyone got experience with these guides other than strippers for fly rods. Have you used them on "heavy builds" for fish 50 lbs+? I am wanting to do a spiral wrap with them and will be using it on Wahoo, Kings, Tarpon, Ling, small sails, small tuna and Dorado (dolphin fish). Opinions? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cerecoil on Bluewater Rod
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: May 03, 2021 07:04PM

I love the Cerecoils on fly rods. I use them all the time for rods up to #10-11. I am helping someone to build a #14 fly rod. I would not use them there either.
Perhaps on spinning rods.
Don't think I would use them on top of conventional rods for large ocean game fish like yellow-fin tuna, etc.
Herb

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: May 04, 2021 04:00PM

Lance,
I admittedly have no experience with REC Cerecoil guides so I cannot answer your question directly. Large fish and heavy drags not only induce more strain on a guide train but, more importantly, the line itself as well. For rods up to 50lb or possibly 80lb, a quality ceramic ring is a safe bet while over 80lb rollers are by far the best choice. I have learned that rollers are becoming less popular recently; I think it is simply due to people wanting to avoid the inspection and maintenance routine required. To me it is a small price to pay for the ultimate, line-friendly guide. 50lb or 80lb braid is quite expensive!
Many guides are overly strong, possibly including the Cerecoils as well. While they may handle the additional stress of offshore fishing, for how long before they groove and at what cost to the line?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: May 04, 2021 05:18PM

Tip-tops will show grooves long before running guides, and casting guides will show grooves long before trolling guides - but overbuilding a rod with atomic tempered Rhodium guides won't hurt anything besides your pocketbook

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 04, 2021 06:36PM

Mark,
My concern was if the rings will pop out or even crack, because that is all they really are, just rings held in by spring steel (alloy). I don't think I will fish it enough to wear out and the heaviest line I intend to use is 50 lbs braid. I know when I first saw them at a fishing event, they were bending them down and sideways and it did not look like the ring would pop out very easy. That leaves the ring material itself, will it crack or even break in half. I guess this would be the ultimate test. I have just asked the REC service rep (via email) about this and it will be interesting to see what they say the application should be. When compare to other more conventional ceramic guides, are they stronger or weaker or about equal?
Lance

Date: May 04, 2021 08:56PM

Lance,
Most on this site know I am a big Fuji fan. I am additionally a big fan of Alconite rings for their best-bang-for-the-buck status; Torsite and either SiC or SiN may be smoother and SiC dissipates heat better than any other guide material, but Torsite is VERY pricey and SiC and SiN are quite brittle and susceptible to fracturing / breaking under rough treatment.
Again, I am unfamiliar with the Cerecoil guides, but you lead me to believe they incorporate a ceramic ring of sorts; I was unaware any Recoil guides sported inserts. If so, and combined with Recoil’s titanium / nickel alloy frames, they could be a VERY good choice for saltwater. Let me know, I am here to learn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2021 11:06AM

Mark,
This is what I am talking about. I have seen them on fly rods but not really anything else commercially. You can bend these down to the blank and it won't hurt them.

[reelseats.com]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 05, 2021 02:06PM

When NiTi snake guides first became available many years ago I built a #5 fly rod with lightweight REC NiTi snake guides - without forhan wraps. Needless to say, fishing osier-covered spring creeks soon backed snake guide feet out from under snake guide wraps. I still fish a rod built with these guides - with triple forhan warps.

Date: May 05, 2021 11:49PM

Lance,
Please excuse my ignorance, but from your supplied photo, I cannot tell if there is actually a ceramic ring insert or not; possibly, but probably not, but… While innovation fuels advancement, haphazardly applied it can prove to mask its effectiveness, not to say such is necessarily the case here.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 06, 2021 09:41AM

Mark, maybe this might help. I saw these guides at the Expo a couple of years ago. I have never used them, they are very light, extremely flexible, and corrosion proof.
I have no idea how suitable they would be for heavy duty conventional rods.

[www.anglingtrade.com]

Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2021 10:06AM

I might suggest that you contact REC and ask them if they believe those guides are suitable for the type application you propose. I suspect they're going to say no, but on the chance that they may say otherwise, I'd spend the two minutes to knock out a brief email to them.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 06, 2021 04:34PM

Tom,
I actually did that and have not gotten anything back from them yet. I will do it again and also try calling them.
Lance

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2021 06:38PM

Ask for Bryan and see if you can get him on the phone. He has been very forthcoming with custom rod builders and even attended the Expo back in 2020.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-51-79-18.net)
Date: July 18, 2022 08:58PM

They are ceramic and more durable than you might think.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (62.182.98.---)
Date: July 18, 2022 10:20PM

LAnce,
I would not install them on off-shore conventional rods.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster