I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Highly visable tip top in varying degrees of light
Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: May 02, 2021 10:12PM

Hi,
I am wondering if there are any tip tops available that are highly visible in varying degrees of light? Or if there would be a modification that could be done to a tip top, to get the same results?
If I were to be baitfishing from the bank of a river, and not really paying attention (enjoying the scenery), I might notice the tip top moving.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Highly visable tip top in varying degrees of light
Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: May 03, 2021 03:30AM

Use fluorescent thread for the tip top wrap (make a fairly long one). This should do the trick.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 03, 2021 07:24AM

Yes on flourescent thread. A friend of mine who fishes at night has found that "balloon lights," very light small led lights intended to go into balloons and light them from the inside work very well. I expect they can be found on the internet.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 03, 2021 12:21PM

One of the very best colors is florescent PINK.

For whatever reason, it seems that the bright pink shows up better than nearly any other color in varying degrees of light.

For visibility purposes, I would do a tip wrap of 3-4 inches.

It might also help to put about a 4 wrap band at the tip, next to the tip top, in the middle of the pink, and at the bottom edge of the pink of metallic thread.

The contrast between the gold and pink seems to really increase the visibility - in all lighting conditions.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: May 03, 2021 01:42PM

If you don't want to go with glow thread or glow tape but want to still be alerted to a strike if you're away from your rod I would go with a device that emits a sound over doing something to the tip top of the rod . Constantly staring at the tip of your rod is OK for some but something that emits a sound signal will allow you to enjoy the scenery without needing to always turn around to stare at your rod.

Some devices offer a sound and visual indicator .

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2021 02:44PM

There numerous sizes of glow sticks available on amazon. Perhaps wrap an extra guide opposite the line guides. Glow sticks tend to be rather flexible. Use a guide size that the glow stick can be forced into.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 03, 2021 04:46PM

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 03, 2021 08:16PM

One of my plug rods from long ago built by lamiglas had a fluorescent orange glass tip, it was called Flame Tip in the catalog, maybe 15 inches long, I just paint my other plug rod's tips to get the same effect. Works very well, it's quick and costs very little

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 03, 2021 08:56PM

Look into carp fishing products.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 03, 2021 11:27PM

Gary,
Some years ago, I did a swap with a fellow rod builder.
I supplied him with some equipment and he supplied me with a ready to build on - Catfish blank for night fishing.

This was a blank that came out of a California company as I understand it.

The blank was a translucent fiberglass blank.

The fellow witch whom I had done the swap - added a change to the blank. He integrated a light bulb and a battery compartment along with a butt cap that acted as a power switch - when made tight on the bottom of the blank.

I went ahead and built up the rod using an Eva rear grip and fore grip along with a standard casting reel seat. The rear grip was placed such that it matched the butt cap and its ability to perform the on/off switching of the light bulb.

When using the rod at night, the hook is baited and the hook and sinker is cast out into the catfish - or other fishing hole for the night and then the rod is placed into a rod holder.

With some tension on the line - the line will take a slight bend. With the light switch turned on - the blank is illuminated at different locations depending on the bend of the blank.

So, now the waiting game begins.

When the fish bites, bend in the rod blank begins to change and get more or less - depending on the action of the fish.

As the fish is working against the pull of the line and the rod - the illuminated parts of the rod run up and down the blank - depending on the amount of rod bend at any given time.

This changing illumination locations on the different parts of the rod alerts the fisher person to grab the rod and bring the fish to the shore.

I also used the rod for Sturgeon fishing and the action of the blank was a perfect match for some nice sized sturgeon.

-----------------
I have never seen a blank like this one commercially any where - but I suspect that they are still available somewhere.

However, with the advent of very bright LEDs - I may take on the project to modify the battery compartment and light bulb to a change to an led light and associated battery.

I suspect that the right led would do an even better job of illuminating the rod, along with a much better battery life.

Take care

Here is an example of a Berkley "glow stick" rod that was announced in 2019 and similar in concept to the rod that I mention above. The one difference is the use of an optical fibre running the length of the glow stick that will give a uniform light - all of he way to the tip.

[fishingtackleretailer.com]

Since these are completed factory rods - one might purchase one - if the right one were available for the particular use one had in mind to simply evaluate its [fishingtackleretailer.com] for the type fishing that has been envisioned.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 04, 2021 09:06AM

I have not used them, but an led light that clips on to the rod tip are popular down here for night time catfishing.
[whiskerseeker.com]
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 04, 2021 11:31AM

If you use circle hooks a tiny bell hung from your tip-top should do the job - and you won't have to constantly stare at the light!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster