I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow spinning blanks
Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 02, 2021 04:14PM

I'd like to build a spinning rod for wacky and texas rigged 5 inch senkos. I will be throwing them under docks and in fairly heavy weeds. Thinking of a 6'8" medium immortal or revalation. The questions is, which one? I think I'd like the extra fast better for casting, but wondering if it is a bit less powerful given lure ratings than the fast. I also though the walleye and bass 68mxf blanks were the same, but rodhouse.fr seems to indicate the the walleye model is slightly heavier and more powerful. Thanks for any insight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow spinning blanks
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 02, 2021 07:26PM

Contact Batson, they will be more than willing to help.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 03, 2021 07:21AM

". . . like the extra fast better for casting. . ." ? I think most find the faster rods a little more difficult for casting since they require better timing. I'm trying to teach a new fisherman how to cast efficiently and he's finding my XFast rods trickier than the Fast and ModFast actions.

The lure recommendations are a pretty good indicator of power. Weigh some of your intended lures so you can better match the blank to the lures.

Advice to contact Batson is good-they know their products better than anyone else. I have built on both blank series you are considering and found them both very good.

Posted by: Zachary guyach (---)
Date: May 03, 2021 06:39PM

I just bought an IMMC73MLF for senkos and the same situations apply to me. I'm also building it as a spinning rod. They do list the application as Topwater/Senkos/Light casting applications/Smaller spinnerbaits.

Unfortunately I am waiting on winding checks to have it finished so I don't have any feedback to give just yet.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: May 03, 2021 09:53PM

If you're teaching somebody just starting out to cast I would definitely not start them out with an X fast rod but they aren't hard to figure out in case that's all you had at the time. Just a simple flick of the wrist with a fast action rod with a flexible tip will send small jigs etc.. a mile . I can't stand fishing moderate rods that bend much further into the blank than faster rods do but everyone has their preference . I think more moderate rods are easier for a beginner for the reasons Michael already stated , they're much more forgiving of poor form and timing .

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 04, 2021 06:35PM

Zachary, I have a rod built on the IMMC73ML blank. I have mine built as a casting rod, but I have considered building a spinning rod on the same blank. My feeling are that it would make an awesome spinning rod, as long as you keep your lure weights up a bit. IMO it just doesn't have the tip for throwing light stuff, but it will excel with baits the weight of a 4" and up Senko. It does great with soft plastic jerkbaits as well. 4 - 5" Caffine shads, and will also make an awesome small swimbait rod. 3.3 - 3.8 Keitech fat impacts on a 3/16 - 3/8 oz jig head.

It is a very versatile blank. Smaller lighter Texas rigged baits like baby Brush hogs, Tubes on tubebait jig heads. I usually keep my jig head and bullet sinker weights in the 3/16 - 1/4 oz range, but you can go heavier. Awesome awesome blank. You're going to love it.

As for teaching someone how to cast that is new to bait casting gear goes. IMO it's more about them using a rod that will load with the weight they will use most often, than it is the actual action of the blank.

Date: May 04, 2021 07:38PM

Peter seems to just want to know if certain Batson blanks are similar to each other before purchasing one he never mentioned that he's new to baitcasting or spinning . Peter said he thinks he would prefer the X fast action choice for casting that's when Michael questioned his preference and said that he thinks faster rods are more difficult to cast but Peter never mentioned that he's a newbie to baitcasting or spinning .

Surprised Batson hasn't commented and answered Peters questions they were very active in the past at doing that .

Date: May 05, 2021 01:24PM

Chris, agreed. Peter never said anything about being new to bait casting gear. My comment on the subject was a response to yours and Michael's post talking about rod actions when teaching someone new to bait casting gear, how to cast. It's the power of the rod that makes the difference, not the action.

Also I happen to agree with Peter that extra fast action rods of appropriate power for the weight being used, cast a little easier. Anyhow ..... I have no experience with any Rainshadow spinning blanks other than the now defunct Eternity2 ETES610MXF blank. If the Immortal or Revelation versions in 610MXF are anywhere near similar to the Eternity2 blank. I would take them out of consideration for a Senko rod. It's a drop shot/ Ned rig rod blank at best. Something to used with open hooks that of light wire construction.

the IMMC73ML blank would make an excellent spinning rod for Senkos.

Date: May 05, 2021 02:49PM

As long as a rod is of the appropriate power which means it's rated to throw the weight range you intend to throw it's suitable but that's a given. If you throw one ounce jig's but have a rod rated for 5- 8 ounces of course it's not going to work . When anglers talk about casting they ALWAYS refer to whether or not the rods are fast action or much more moderate action nobody ever brings up the power rating of the rod . Most likely due to everybody expects the power rating to be a match to the weight range being thrown . When Michael said that most people agree that faster actions rods are more difficult to cast than more moderate rods he was 100% correct although I personally don't find that to be the case but the majority do .

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2021 07:49PM

Yes, I prefer extra fast rods for senko type fishing. And yes, my question was whether the extra fast blanks I referenced had enough power to fish a ~3/8 oz bait and pull bass out of docks or weeds. I've heard what David mentioned about the 610mxf being less powerful than ratings would indicate, so I am trying to make sure the 68mxf is properly rated. I considering the casting 73mlf, but I would like the rod to be around 6'8" and suspect that blank would end up slower than I would like if I took 7 inches off the butt. Thanks for the comments above. I did ask Batson, and the revelation 68mxf was the recommendation.

Date: May 05, 2021 08:16PM

Once again, thanks David, for actual, relatable info.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: May 05, 2021 09:00PM

Companies that sell blanks designated as either spinning or casting, such as Rainshadow, the casting version is always more powerful than the spinning version even though they have the same lure and power ratings. St Croix used to do the same thing. i don’t know why they do this but they do. With that said I have used the Eternity C68M as a spin rod and it’s a very nice rod and would fit what you want. However, they are no longer available, and I don’t know how the Immortal C68M would compare, but I imagine they might be close. I have also used the PB691MLXF as as spin rod and it is more powerful and faster then Eternity, and I like it very much.
Norm

Date: May 05, 2021 10:40PM

"The casting version is always more powerful than the spinning version even though they have the same lure and power ratings"

Now that's something that I was not aware of , appreciate that tidbit of info .

Date: May 06, 2021 03:55AM

Peter, I did some digging and found the paper with CCS numbers that I came up with, for some of the rods I've built. The CCS numbers for the rod I built on the IMMC73ML are an IP of 605 g, with an AA of 72. As far as taking 7" off the IMMC73ML blank, My feelings are that you would lose quite a bit of power, and that it would slow the action quite a bit.

Personally, I've become a little leery of lighter powered blanks with extra fast actions of late. Because of that, (and I have no experience with these blanks) I'd be looking at the IMMS68M or IMMS610M. It's a spinning rod, and I just don't think you need a light tipped extra fast action blank to help skip a bait with a spinning rod.

And Lynn? Are you trying to get a free meal out of me? lol

Thank you

Date: May 06, 2021 06:52PM

David, NO! But now that I have your attention, I think I may not have an e-mail address for you anymore. We should correct this. Try sending me a test sometime.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 06, 2021 07:47PM

Norman,
Over the years, I have used this fact that you mention - i.e. different power on a casting blank compared to a spinning blank - to get the perfect casting rod - with the much lighter power than the comparable built up casting rod with the casting rod blank.

Take care

Date: May 06, 2021 10:08PM

Roger, maybe that’s a reason they do it, to give people a choice; fine tuning so to say. For a given power rating, if someone wants something slightly less powerful they can choose the spinning version, or something slightly more powerful they can choose the casting version, and build either as casting or spinning rod.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2021 10:09PM by Norman Miller.

Date: May 06, 2021 11:32PM

If I'm purchasing a blank and both are rated the same I'm now going with the casting version and plan on building it spinning . I don't follow CCS stuff much but I would assume both versions while rated the same will show different numbers.

Date: May 06, 2021 11:44PM

That’s true, the casting version will have a higher intrinsic power. Designations of L, ML, M, MH, and H are all arbitrary and are not uniform from brand to brand, or even within the same brand.
Norm

Date: May 07, 2021 12:14AM

Thank you very much for your expertise with this , appreciate it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster