I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing for casting rods
Posted by: mike lepori (216.115.8.---)
Date: May 02, 2021 12:16AM

Hello Everyone,

Brand new to this site and first post. I have been trying to find optimal guide spacing for casting rods. I have built 4 casting rods now and used the spacing charts i have printed off. After reading some posts on here i would like to make sure i do things the correct way and make rods the best they can be. I found the 27X method for the spinning rods that i plan on using on my Dads build i have coming. Can this method be used for casting rods also? I have only found articles for using on spinning rods? Any advice on this? As you can tell i am new to rod building. Thank you for an info you may have.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing for casting rods
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 02, 2021 08:03AM

You will get a lot of opinions, none most likely are wrong. I think all will agree that 27x is designed for the reduction train of spin rods.

Many builders put the first casting guide at about 19-20 inches from the reel level wind guide and then locate the others with a two line stress test (anglersresource.org in the left margin). The first guide should be a little higher than what the old time rods were built with and many use a size 10 double foot to get that height. You don't need the size 10 for any other reason than height. I prefer to use the Fuji reverse RV 6 mm guide for the first one, then 5.5mm KB's and KT's to the end, usually using at least one, often two or three more guides than the "rod length + 1 + tiptop" guide count "rule of thumb." . I usually use from 2-4 KB's after the RV depending on the power of the rod. KB's have a stouter foot than the KT's and are used where stresses are higher, in the mid-section of the rod.

And you can do a simple spiral or other more complex spiral (they all work) to get the guides to the bottom of the blank and get away with fewer guides and eliminate any torquing in the hand (which I don't seem to feel anyway and prefer on top builds).

Posted by: mike lepori (131.150.126.---)
Date: May 02, 2021 06:39PM

Thank you for the response. I will check out anglers resource this evening. I’ve got some time before rod and parts get here so doing research so that I’m ready when it arrives. Appreciate the advice????????

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.51.---)
Date: May 03, 2021 08:55AM

Learn how to do a proper static test. It requires one line tied directly to the tip top in order to load the blank, and another line attached to the reel with a weight to keep some tension on the line. The technique is not difficult to learn, and what I use to place all guides on a casting rod and the running guides on a spinning rod.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you start at the tip and work backwards, the guides will end up where they need to be. Michael gives some good advice on guide sizing. Personally, I typically use a butt guide that is a double foot 6mm guide, and follow it with 5mm, or a single 5mm, and 4mm running guides on the freshwater rods I use. I prefer a spiral wrap on most casting builds, but use both spiral and traditional guides on top builds.

In regard to guide sizing, there are a few considerations since you didn't mention what you are building for. When choosing the smallest guides on your rod, you need to be sure that they will pass any knots and connections that you require to pass through the guides (generally 5mm or larger depending on the knots is a safe bet). If you regularly fish in temps below freezing, larger guides can be useful in preventing the guide from icing up (6mm or 8mm). For heavy lines and offshore fish in saltwater, you may wish to go larger. When it comes to choosing the butt guide, it needs to be tall enough to satisfy the static test on rods where a fore grip is not used by the angler. If you regularly manipulate the line by hand, i.e. flipping, the height should be tall enough to allow you to easily grab the line (10mm, RV6, or 12mm). If the angler uses a fore grip the butt guide should be tall enough and close enough to keep the line from touching the angler's hand when the rod is deeply loaded.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 03, 2021 12:33PM

In addition to the other comments, consider this - if you have vision issues.

As folks get older and or have eye issues of one sort or another - sometimes it is next to impossible for a visually impaired individual to be able to thread the fishing line through very small guides.

If that is the case, just start with a size 10 for the butt guide and go with a nominal height size 6 guide for all of the rest of the guides up to the tip top which is also a size 6.

So much easier to see a size 10 and a size 6 SV type height guide and tip top - rather than the very small 4 or 4.5 very short guides.

If you are building a conventional casting rod with a conventional wrap, you can go with much fewer guides if using size 6 SV height guides without having the line rub on the blank than one could do, if working with size 4 guides.

Good luck

Posted by: mike lepori (---.mobile.uscc.com)
Date: May 03, 2021 08:20PM

Thank you all so much! The comment about getting older and vision is spot on. My first build used 5mm guides and it’s tough to thread the line through without reading glasses. Last build I used 6mm and was much better.
Wish I had found this site a while back before I started my other rods. They work ok and I don’t have any issues and used spacing charts when I did those guides but I want the best performance I can get from here on out.
I’m still new to this so some terms I don’t know yet but am researching. I’ll see what spiral wrapping means. Curious what that is about. Really glad I ran across the site and look forward to learning from all of you veteran builders on here! Hope you all have a great day! Thanks again

Mike

Posted by: mike lepori (---.mobile.uscc.com)
Date: May 03, 2021 08:22PM

Just noticed my post. Didn’t realize I input question marks. Didn’t mean to do that so wasn’t being sarcastic with my post.

Mike

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: May 04, 2021 01:14PM

" I want the best performance I can get from here on out"

My vision is terrible these days but I would never use larger guides than absolutely necessary when building for all out performance regardless of how bad my vision was . When I'm out fishing and need to retie after a breakoff or re rig something I find it a complete nightmare but I'm certainly not going to use terminal tackle that's larger just because it would be easier for me to see and rig. I bring aid's that make it much easier for me to see close up but as they say to each their own.

I use size 5 runners on all my surf rods ( And yes, they're more difficult for me to see and wrap ) but I can tell the recovery rate is faster than when I used to use size 8's or 10's .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster