I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Made from WOOD?
Posted by: Theron @ American Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 30, 2021 04:42PM

Well maybe not completely, but here is a unique handle design from Stillwater Rods. This is custom built by tournament inshore angler Jason Dail!

Photo: [www.rodbuilding.org]

The handle was custom crafted and built by Jason. But this rod also features the American Tackle AERO Spinning Seat and MicroWave 25 Spinning Guides

The blank used is the CB72/ 8-15 blank! A perfect selection for running baits and swimming action inshore plugs.

This rod will handle snook, trout, calico bass, and tarpon with ease!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Made from WOOD?
Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: April 30, 2021 04:47PM

How far into the wood handle does the blank go?

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 30, 2021 05:20PM

Looks like the wood handle ends at the reel seat to me . Jason probably loves the way that grip feels and made it to enhance his fishing success and enjoyment .

Boring a perfectly straight hole from the top of the handle to the bottom is not easy , I have no idea how far the blank goes into that wood handle .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2021 05:29PM by chris c nash.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 30, 2021 07:56PM

That handle was most likely turned on a mandrel, if so, the hole was bored on the lathe before turning the wood.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 01, 2021 02:47AM

If I were doing it, I would have the rod blank run all of the way to the butt of the rod. That way, the rear grip is lighter due to the hole running through it and there are no discontinuity with respect to the blank providing feel and strength all of the way to the butt of the rod.

As Phil said, if the hole is bored on the lathe, before the grip is turned, it is trivial to maintain the integrity of the grip with respect to a uniform hole through the full length of the grip.

But, in any event, if the drill bit is held stationary and the grip is turned by the lathe headstock and chuck, it is pretty easy to bore a straight hole through a long length.

I turned these rod grips some years ago. I also bored the center holes after completing the turning of the grip.

The headstock chuck kept one end of the grip stationary. The rock solid rod rest - kept the other end of the grip stationaryl

Then, when the drill bit was advanced into the spinning grip - the hole had no choice except to come out perfectly straight.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The key part of the equation is to keep the drill bit stationary, and spin the work piece. That, by its very nature will insure a perfectly centered hole in the piece of work.

Take care

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: May 01, 2021 12:20PM

That makes perfect sense , I don't have any machinery like that but as they say use the right tool for the job and I tend to always be missing that 'Right' tool for some reason.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster