I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LZR guides
Posted by: Mike Moore (---)
Date: April 30, 2021 10:37AM

Hey everyone, have any of you used the LZR guides from mudhole? I’m building a couple of 7ft MHX SJ843 spinners and got the LZRs in 20-12-5s to tip. I’m surprised at how small the 20 is as a stripper. It looks like they might be better for a ngc layout rather than a concept layout. Will they still work or should I go with a 25 or higher frame guides altogether? Thanks for any input
Oh, the reel will be a penn battle 3 in a 2500 and 3000 with 10-15lb daiwa j-braid

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LZR guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2021 12:25PM

The stripper is fine, I use that size with mono also.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 30, 2021 01:59PM

Mike,
It is common knowledge that not only the ring diameter but the height of the ring as well are important factors in a KR Concept reduction guide train; the whole concept involves smaller rings atop higher frames. A size 20 ring is a good choice for 20-30lb braid and your 2500-3000 reel. I do not know the height of your LZR but a Fuji KL 20-H is 50.8mm.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 30, 2021 02:10PM

The LZR 20 (41.66 mm) is about the same height as a KL16H (43.3 mm).
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 30, 2021 02:13PM

By the way, just out of curiosity.

If the height of a ring on a guide measured from the foot to the center of the ring, or is it measured from the foot to the bottom, or to the top of the ring?

Take care

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 30, 2021 02:30PM

The heights I gave are total heights, bottom of foot to top of frame.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 30, 2021 03:07PM

For what it is worth, given the same ring size, Fuji KH-Hs are a bit taller than the others I have seen; Minima Ms may be the closest.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster