I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Support?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2021 02:12AM

Just finishing up a UL. For the reel seat I used a skeleton seat with a carbon fiber insert. I used a threaded section on both ends and a SK2 hood with carbon fiber hood covers. The front and rear hoods tighten towards each other. Works real nice extremely lightweight. In wanting to keep weight down I fitted the reelseat insert snugly to the rod. The threaded sections of course needed arbors. I only used a small section of arbor on each threaded portion. I left about half the threaded portion unsupported and not in anyway secured to the blank. The foot of the reel has full support under it. I also have full contact to the blank through the reelseat in the area of my fingers. I initially thought I would fill the void with epoxy. Wondering if I even need to bother.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Support?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2021 07:24AM

Filling with epoxy will only add weight. If you were going to fill it with anything I'd use cork, brick-foam or similar. However, I doubt you need to do anything else if you simply have a bit of unsupported overhang on the ends where no pressure will be brought to bear.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 30, 2021 11:50AM

Michael,
The foam arbors are very very light.

As a result, I take a nice fitting foam arbor - a thin coat of epoxy and it is ready to go.

I would rather have a 1/4 gram of extra weight on a rod, rather than having a rod failure in the future.

But, don't use epoxy to fill a large area. Epoxy - with respect to weight and volume - is a rather heavy material to use as a filler. Rather, just use foam arbors or similar to fill voids.

Take care

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 30, 2021 02:07PM

Michael,
An interesting concept for a reel seat. I am curious what you were attempting to accomplish with two moveable / adjustable hoods?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: April 30, 2021 09:38PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Michael,
> An interesting concept for a reel seat. I am
> curious what you were attempting to accomplish
> with two moveable / adjustable hoods?

I was trying to create a lightweight grip that filled my hand. I like Fuji VSS and IPS. But it was a longer and heavier grip than I wanted. The two apposing hoods tighten up on the reel foot leaving a gap of about 3/4". The fore grip and rear grip are both 1 3/4" plus the exposed portion of the SK2 hood. My overall length ends up being about 6 1/2 inches. To do a VSS or IPS in carbon fiber which I wanted, available components would of put be at least two and a half inches longer.

I left the portions unsupported because it was just a odd set of dimensions. The arbors were bored too large would had to tape under them which I did with the the rear. If I taped under the front arbor I would of had to overbore the reelseat insert to slide over the tape. I did not realize this until the reelseat was glued up. Had I thought of this I would glued up in steps. Rear threads with arbors, insert, front threads with arbors. Even I went that way I would of had a lot of extra tape and epoxy under the arbors.

Looking at using a epoxy infused with microballons to fill the void. Not much different than foam really.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 01, 2021 07:49PM

You said ultra light, I think you're done.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 01, 2021 11:07PM

Don't overlook the Fuji plate reel seats as they work great with a carbon fiber tube grip. Kind of a Tennessee style grip That's very light and comfortable. They lock-up good and are very sensitive. [www.mudhole.com]

Date: May 09, 2021 02:12PM

I just left it alone. Made the rod for extreme small streams and small trout mainly brookies. A ten inch fish is something to get excited about twelve is rare. Last few days I put the rod to the test and it performed perfectly. Even accounted for a 16 inch brown out of a stream maybe five foot wide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster