I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Help With Inshore Build
Posted by: Bob Ginther (162.245.179.---)
Date: April 29, 2021 09:43PM

I am looking to build a St. Croix 4T76HF3 (rated for 3/4 - 3 oz, 15-30lb) for an inshore rod used to target roosters, groupers, snappers, sierra, dorado and such in Mexico.  Is my Penn Slammer III 4500 a good fit?  Should I use a single foot guide train using the KR Concept?  Or would I be better off using double foot guides, and if so how do I lay out the reduction train (still KR or maybe 27x spool diameter)?   And what size guides?

I will use braid, probably 30 lb.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help With Inshore Build
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 29, 2021 11:12PM

Bob,
Personally, I would use a conventional reel / rod but if you are H-bent on a spinner, stick with the KL-Hs, KBs out to a MN tip top. Also consider stepping up to a 50lb braid with a 20-40lb leader. A KL 25-H, KL 12-H, KL 7-M or 6-L with appropriate sized KBs out to an equally sized MN tip top will get the job done. Obviously, single-foot guides are not as robust as double-foot guides which is why I suggest a conventional reel / guides, but the spinner will certainly work if you are careful with and do not abuse your equipment. I am interested in learning from other replies; we are all here to learn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: April 30, 2021 08:05AM

I am not a fan of single foot guides for saltwater builds. The double foot guides give you that extra support in case you hook into something a little bigger. I also dont care so much about the weight of a saltwater rod because of the bigger reel going to be used. Like Mark mentioned above, you can get away with the single foot guides, you just have to be mindful. I also would not go above the 30lb braid if you are going with the single foot guides.

Date: April 30, 2021 02:58PM

Bob & Ken,
To be honest, I am actually in the process of building a ~20lb saltwater spin rod, basically for Calico. But there is always the possibility of hooking into a 30lb Yellowtail of 50lb WSB. The rod will be a spinning duplicate of the casting rod I built from the same Conolon blank, just for comparison’s sake and simply because I can lol.
Most guides, single or double foot, are inherently many times stronger than any force the line will ever impose on them. Granted, yes, the taller the frame = the more leverage can be imposed. But considering, say, 20lb of reel drag spread over, say, 6 guides, each guide will only experience 3.3lb of force from the line = not much. As I alluded to above, the double foot guides are inherently more robust and will withstand more abuse and rougher treatment often associated with saltwater fishing. But a spinning rod can certainly get the job done as well; I am certainly interested to learn of the difference.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 30, 2021 05:27PM

Mark, in my waters we always used to say we use spinning reels to maximize the fight. A conventional reel, with the ability to drop a thumb on the spool and/use it as a winch, definitely gives you more of an advantage in a fight. For a fish like your yellowtail one would want that. For a dorado maybe you just want to have a bit more fun and challenge?

In short, I like the spinning reels best for fish that run fast/hard on the top of the water column and conventional reels for the ones that like to run for cover on the bottom. Different horses for different courses I guess:)

As far as the original question, sounds like it will be a travel blank and that is a big reason to consider double foot guides. You need the rod to survive and be available, not be the lightest build or longest casting. I'd go with Fuji MNSG and would get an extra spool for the Penn Slammer III 4500. Load one with braid and one with mono and you can cover a lot of ground.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 30, 2021 07:43PM

Russell,
Your comments are acknowledged, understood and accepted. I also like your saying, “Different horses for different courses”. I have not heard that one before, like it, consider it to be very true and will probably rip-you-off. I am anxious to test my “identical” old casting and new spinning rods back-to-back; who knows, maybe I will end up agreeing with you.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster