I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recommendation for a TX inshore spinning blank
Posted by: Fred Kneipp (146.86.128.---)
Date: April 29, 2021 10:01AM

I have been making and fishing primarily casting rods. Now I want to make a spinning rod for inshore plastic fishing. Looking for recommendation for a blank. The rod will be used for casting plastic paddle tails and jerk baits inshore in TX.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommendation for a TX inshore spinning blank
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: April 29, 2021 11:23AM

Fred,
CTS has a sweet "inshore spinning blank" 6'6" or 7'0" - one piece - 3/16 - 1/2 Oz.
Also have lighter lure weight if wanted - 1/32 - 1/8 Oz
Herb
CTS Rep

Posted by: Ancelmo Fernandez (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 29, 2021 11:36AM

How light are the plastics and jig heads? Will you be using a popping cork as well?

Posted by: Trevor Esparza (---.cdn77.com)
Date: April 29, 2021 11:48AM

I like the Liberty blanks from GetBit. P703 or P704 based on your post.

Date: April 29, 2021 01:53PM

I will be using 1/8 to 5/8 total weight without a popping cork.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 29, 2021 03:16PM

Bushido CB72/6-12 was created for TX inshore working with Texan anglers... if you are wading the 6'8" version is perfect.

Hit me up if you have any questions about them

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: April 29, 2021 06:42PM

Why not use the same blank that you like for your casting rods?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: April 29, 2021 07:26PM

The blanks I am using are mod fast and I am thinking a fast or xfast might be better for working the lighter plastics, so I am for others opinions.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 29, 2021 07:48PM

For inshore speckled trout and red fish I like the ML Point blanks from 6’9’ to 7’3’. They are all fast to extra fast and all will cast the lure range you mentioned with no problems, they will also handle just about any inshore fish you might catch. They are great blanks.
Norm

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 29, 2021 08:30PM

I have tried to make inshore rods in the 7'6" length work for me but they just don't work well for what I do . I need stellar casting performance for the area's I fish that's why I much prefer inshore rods in the 8 foot length . They are still super easy to handle and control and are capable of casting long distances. I find them to be exceptionally lightweight as well . I have chosen Rod Geeks blanks for this purpose in the past and have been very pleased .

I wish Rainshadow made an Immortal in the 8 foot length that fit my specs , I tried the IMMP76MH and it didn't work for me .

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2021 08:39PM

7' ML Point Blank is good and will rocket a light lure. I also like Phenix K2 TX-713L-S-B very sweet blank or the NFC P703-1 (HM LMX). Can't go wrong with any of these.

Posted by: John Durbin (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 30, 2021 11:33AM

I have one of the CTS Air rods in a 1/8 to 3/8 oz just for throwing paddle tails in 7' 6". It is a medium fast to fast. It is the most sensitive rod I have, it is an amazing blank. They are extremely light but very strong. If you are interested in a CTS blank contact Herb and he will help you out and get you what you need.

Posted by: chris c nash (70.40.87.---)
Date: April 30, 2021 11:54AM

Anyone not familiar with the CTS AIR blanks you can see reviews below:

[ctsfishing.com]

Posted by: Austin Todd (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 30, 2021 12:36PM

There are several Bushido Blanks that would be great for that kind of fishing. I have a lot of customers that use the CB72/6-12 that Don mentioned above. Also you could fish the 8-15 as well. Another option and one of my personal favorites would be the SJ72/6-12 which is a little bit faster. I have quite a few customers in Texas throwing topwaters, popping corks, plight plastics and jerkbaits on these for Trout and Reds.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 03, 2021 02:00AM

The American Tackle Matrix MA-SP66-2/6-15 is an extremely versatile blank, and very light in the hand as well! it is rated for 1/4 to 5/8 so right in your wheelhouse! I have some and love them! It is a Mod-Fast action, but I have no problems casting light lures with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster